Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

The Mid-Semester Slump as a Taurus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I was born on May 10 at 2:35 a.m. (sorry, Mom). The way the stars and planets aligned in the sky that early morning indicates that I am a Taurus. We, Tauruses, are supposed to be stubborn, materialistic and lazy, but also grounded, patient and persevering. 

I’m getting stuck in a rut as we reach the middle of the semester. I don’t feel that overwhelming motivation to complete my schoolwork. I’m sure everyone can relate but are my fellow Taurus sisters facing this dilemma? Instead of actively fixing this slump, I’d rather blame it on my zodiac sign. It’s the stars’ fault—not mine!

Why am I stuck?

I didn’t move back to college. I’m a proud student of Zoom University, and the lecture hall is my living room. There was no change of scenery to rejuvenate my spirit after summer, so I’ve been stuck in my suburban (and somewhat boring) neighborhood since March. 

I spend an absurd amount of time staring at my computer screen. As a Taurus, I love to keep to a schedule, so my consistent virtual lectures and meetings help me feel stable. However, it’s getting old.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

I feel disconnected from my professors and peers. There is a lack of genuine human connection when you can spend the whole class on mute. I’m sure most online students have been in this awkward situation: the professor asks how everyone is doing, and no one responds. It makes my skin crawl, but I won’t break the silence. 

I’m too lazy and stubborn of a Taurus to reach out. Going to virtual office hours sounds awkward, so why would I risk an uncomfortable interaction? My Taurean inclination is to just shoot an email. I’m unwilling to dress up for a Zoom one-on-one meeting when I can send the professor a few questions in my pajamas. 

Without really “knowing” my instructors, I feel less obligated to polish my work before turning it in. I don’t care quite as much what they think about me, which is not good. My GPA and future recommendations are still in their hands, even if we’ve never set foot in the same room. 

Despite my complaints, I will admit that I’m still a tryhard. My Taurean perseverance kicks in, and busts out those assignments before 11:59 p.m., and my desire for perfection hasn’t completely disappeared. However, it’s strange to not feel that drive to get things done early. My essays get a few less edits and my readings get skimmed.

How do I escape this slump?

Well, I’m probably not going to do much. It’s far easier to blame my problems on being born on May 10 at 2:35 a.m. Everyone is stuck this year for obvious reasons, independent of their astrological sign. 

It’s okay to have points where you feel like you aren’t progressing. Unproductive days (or weeks) aren’t inherently lazy — they are beneficial for recharging and reflecting. If you’re a Taurus, you need that down-time to ground yourself before you set out on a new path. You’ll bounce back soon enough, ready to dive into your next project or adventure. 

However, don’t let your patience turn into complacency. Keep your eyes open for new opportunities, and take the leap if the stars align for you.

Crescent Moon, Venus, Jupiter and the Milky Way
Photo by Alexis Antonio from Unsplash

Abigail "Abby" Reasor is a senior at VCU. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in French. She loves to talk about Disney World and vegan food.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!