This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Marlena Ashby is a Virginia Commonwealth University freshman who has a passion for art, photography and makeup. Marlena has a beauty channel on YouTube with over 20,000 subscribers as well as an art channel on YouTube with nearly 5,000 subscribers. Marlena is incredibly hardworking and hopes to make it big on YouTube while continuing her passion for photography one day.

Age: 18

Major: Photography

Hometown: Midlothian, Virginia

What made you decide to come to VCU?

I came to VCU because it’s the number one public art school in the United States and I really wanted to be a part of that. Also, I grew up 20 minutes away from Richmond, and I always had so much fun in the city! It was the only school I applied to because it was the only school I wanted to go to.

What got you into photography?

I got into photography in high school because I decided to take a graphic arts class. Graphics is different from photography, but we got to work with photography from time to time and whenever we did I absolutely loved it. I’ve known photography was my passion since then.

What’s your favorite photo you’ve taken and why?

It’s so hard to decide my favorite photo I’ve ever taken because I’ve taken thousands. For now, I’ll say it was a photo of my friend sitting on an abandoned mattress because it won a Gold Key for the Scholastic Art Awards in 2014 and ended up hanging in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts for a month. Just knowing that two of my photographs hung in a museum with so many other successful artists is awesome.

What made you get into YouTube?

I started my YouTube channel around freshman year after my neighbor started one. I looked up to her for it, and I thought it was really cool so I wanted to try it out. I never thought it would get this big.

Which YouTube video are you most proud of and why?

The video that I’m proudest of is my “Back to School Clothing Try on Haul” because it’s my video with the most views (currently 120,000)!

Who do you look up to and why?

Even though it’s cheesy, I look up to both of my parents. They’re both the kindest, most down to earth people. My mom had a really tough life as a child but still turned out to be the most amazing woman I know. My father and grandfather built their company with their own hands. Now my dad is an entrepreneur and does what he enjoys. I hope I’ll become a good mix between the two of them.

What do you consider your biggest accomplishment?

I’m still young and feel like I haven’t accomplished a lot, but I think getting into VCU Arts was really important to me. I’d say it was that.

Check out her social media accounts!

Instagram: @marlenanicole

Twitter: @marlenanicolee

YouTube Channels: Marlena Nicole and Mars Art

Photo Credits: Marlena Ashby

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!