Marisha Downer, Fabulous President of the Sex Club of VCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.
Sex is a subject that can both fascinate and frighten people from all sorts of backgrounds.  Even though we currently live in an incredibly sexualized society, sex also carries a negative connotation.  It is associated with lust and immorality as well as what is considered sexy and mature.  “Sexy” is brillliant, but “Sex?” No, no, no!  That’s way too much for some people.  Only incredibly suggestive commercials, advertisements, and photoshoots will do.  In a world where “sex sells,” all of these contradictions rule almost every advertising industry.  So how should we get educated without feeling preached to or given inaccurate information?  I had the honor of having Marisha Downer, a senior here at VCU, allow me to interview her as Campus Celebrity.  She is the president of the Sex Club of VCU who hopes to squash people’s misconceptions about sex. Enjoy!  

Where are you from, what is your major, what do you want to do when you graduate, etc?
I was born in Orange, New Jersey but moved to Winchester, VA when I was 4 years old. I am senior, Psychology major with a minor in Gender, Sexuality & Women’s Studies. I hope to be a relationship/sex therapist or counselor someday.
What exactly are the goals of the Sex Club at VCU?
The goals of the Sex Club of VCU is to create an open discourse for VCU students to talk about sex and gender issues.

What made you get involved with the Sex Club?
I got involved with the Sex Club my freshman year with my roommate. The title of the club interested me enough that I had to join and see what it was all about.  

Have you experienced anything negative when dealing with other people who don’t know that much about the Sex Club?
Most definitely! People often assume the club is a bunch of sex fiends having orgies (people have actually said this). So one of my main goals is to quickly dispel people’s predisposed ideas about what the club is and encourage people to come to a meeting and explore it themselves.

What’s the craziest, coolest, funniest, or weirdest thing you have learned about since getting involved with the Sex Club?
I can’t really narrow it down to one thing. I find something interesting, crazy and cool in almost every meeting or interaction with members. I guess people’s willingness to share personal experiences is always very intriguing to me.

What are some ambitions you have for the club?
Some of my ambitions for the club would be to get our name out in the VCU community in a positive manner and raise more awareness of sex and gender issues in our society as well as at VCU.

Be sure to check out the Sex Club of VCU!
*photos provided by Marisha Downer

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.