LaToria Todd: Miss Black and Gold 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Miss Black and Gold Pageant Winner, LaToria Todd

Age: 22

Major: Mass Communications

Concentration: Broadcasting

Year: Senior (graduating spring 2014)

Hometown: Centerville, VA. Originally from Murray, Kentucky.

What made you want to go to VCU? 

Forced decision. It was between here and ODU, but I wanted to go to JMU but got denied. Freshman year I didn’t like VCU and maybe it’s because I came in with a boyfriend so I felt limited because he wasn’t very secure. I planned on transferring to George Mason, but I heard about the RA job and I said if I get it I’ll stay and if I don’t I’m leaving. That made me grow in a whole different way.

How do you like being an RA?

It gives me a sense of responsibility and the willingness to learn. There are so many different views, cultures, people, and you open up to things you never knew before.

What things are you involved in around VCU/Richmond? 

I’m a member of the Delta Phi Omega sorority, I volunteer at St. Andrews elementary school (once a week), I’m an RA at the B&B dorms,  I intern at Clear Channel in pursuit of my broadcasting major, and every year I do a 5k race to raise awareness about brain tumors.

What made you want to join a sorority? 

I originally wasn’t interested in Greek life at all. Two years ago, I would’ve said I would never do it because I felt like you were paying for your friends. I then began to see the volunteer projects they were doing, I started doing research, and one of my friends asked me would I be interested in greek life because I was a good leader. I wanted to step outside the not only the normal, but my culture. I started hanging with her and some of her sisters and I felt at home. I genuinely was happy and felt like I was learning so much. I learned their dances, different foods and personalities. The outreach was outside of VCU.

Did you ever receive backlash for joining a multicultural greek, instead of a predominately African-American National Pan Hellenic Council? 

Yeah, and a lot of the flack was from those who aren’t even greek. The NHPC still congratulated me though. I joined a sorority built on south Asian principles and at times it was discouraging. When my friend told others I just crossed Delta Phi Omega they would sarcastically say “yeah I know.” It was upsetting because I worked so hard, but I remained calm and had patience. I knew the hard work I did and they’d see it too. Even my grandparents didn’t understand and wanted me to do black outreach. However, I can be that voice for the voiceless.

What was it like being in a pageant? 

I didn’t feel comfortable in the beginning because all the girls were small, seemed poised, new the dance moves, could walk in heels and everything. I was myself the whole time, I would take off my heels if my feet hurt, I would tell people when I wasn’t comfortable, and I feel like that’s why I was Miss Congeniality because I was myself. I was always teased about my weight because I didn’t fit this cosmopolitan look and I was teased, picked on, and laughed at for not losing this weight. The first day I got to practice I cried when I looked at the other girls, because I felt like I had nothing compared to them. However, once I got to know the girls everyone had insecurities. Girls have so much pressure to be like this and be like that.

How did it feel to win the title of Miss Black and Gold?

Amazing, but tough during the process. All I could remember was getting the crown. I was so surprised; it was overwhelming and I honestly didn’t think I was going to get it. I didn’t know how to walk in heels and when they interviewed us I said, “I want to be poised, I want to learn how to walk in heels.” It really challenged every insecurity I ever had. I really didn’t want to take off my cover up for the bathing suit scene. I wanted to represent for a different crowd. I wanted to represent sent for plus size girls and show that beauty comes in different sizes. The brothers even instilled a lot of confidence in me. One of our founding mothers was like, “I haven’t even met you but you are still carrying out the principles and pillars that we built and I appreciate you representing us in a good light.” I had a founding mother watching me for so long and didn’t even know it.

Now, that you’ve won Miss Black and Gold, what’s next?

The VACAPAC- (Virginia association of chapters of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity Inc.) pageant in February.

Do you think you can take home another title?

I feel like if I could do Miss Black and Gold I can do anything.

Does Miss Black and Gold have a Mr. in her life right now?

I attempt to go on dates but I don’t feel like guys are ready for me. I don’t feel like men are ready to appreciate my value. After the pageant, my confidence has shot up. So, I don’t accept anything less than what I deserve now.

Who are your major influences?

My mother and my younger sister. They’re my rock! My sister is my best friend and I tell her all the time you’d rather be respected than liked. Never compromise to be something you’re not. As far as my mom, she loves that I’m at VCU. She told me I wasn’t transferring schools, and that it was good that I felt uncomfortable. She loves the people that I’ve met and the woman I’m becoming.

What can we expect from LaToria in the future?

Well, as I continue with pursuing broadcasting, I plan to really get better at public speaking. However, I really want to reform education. I want to be an English teacher who can teach from the perspective of African American women that came before me. My goal is to make the words we read in black and white, more exciting to learn.

Any advice for young women who aspire to do the pageant next year and years to come?

Have a strong faith in God. God places you in the right place at the right time. Never judge a book by its cover and try new things even if you don’t even believe in it. I didn’t believe in pageants and look where I stand today.

Lindsey Felder is a communications major with a concentration in public relations and a minor in public relations. Her hobbies are singing, listening to music, dancing, modeling, going to amusement parks, volunteering, shopping, playing soccer, running, and hanging with my friends.She aspires to be a public relations director or a music director for a music label/ radio station.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.