Kimberly Corrigan: Model and Actress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Profession(s): Model and Actress

Favorite Quote(s): “It’s not about where you start, it’s about where you finish.”

Favorite Book: I don’t know if I have a favorite. I really enjoy reading Nicholas Sparks.

Favorite Place in Richmond: Belle Isle.

“I knew I wanted to be a model since I was 14 years old.”

At the age of 14, VCU student Kimberly Corrigan’s tall frame and lean figure was eye catching; she was constantly confronted by people in public who told her she should be a model. Heeding their suggestions, she looked into it and like many other young girls watched America’s Next Top Model. After watching the show, her dream became rooted in her and she knew that’s what she wanted to be. Her first photo shoot further solidified her ambitions to become a model.

“I instantly fell in love with it and I was like man, I want to do this is I want to do for the rest of my life!” she said. 

Armed with conviction about her career at a young age, she faced difficulty getting there.

Kimberly found out that she needed braces and had to undergo corrective double jaw surgery. If she didn’t go through the operation, it could lead to potential health issues.  Kimberly was devastated by the news.  The experience took a toll on her both physical and emotionally; getting braces and the jaw surgery directly impacted her dream. She would walk into local auditions and agencies only to be told that there was no interest in the market for models with braces.

The healing process was also challenging for Kimberly. She was placed on a strict liquid/pureed diet for a couple of months, could not chew for about seven weeks because of open incisions and had to teach “the new jaw how to chew all over again.” She also suffered from a weak immune system that resulted from a lack of nutrition and had several allergic reactions.

She had to bide her time and put her modeling career on hold for a few years until she had her braces taken off and healed from the jaw surgery, which proved to be a difficult but character building experience for her.

“It was tough. That surgery really did bring me down a little bit but when I look at it, it has made me stronger and made me more comfortable in my skin. And it was so hard because most models start when they’re 16. And here I am, a 19 year old girl, how am I going to get into this?  It was definitely hard and it’s still hard. I’m trying to get there and make it to the top,” she said.

Kimberly’s passion for modeling that carried her forth in times of difficulty and discouragement has led her here today with New York Fashion Week under her belt along with a growing number of photo shoots and fashion shows. Kimberly has other ambitions besides modeling; she’s also an aspiring actress. She has landed roles in commercials and has obtained work as an extra in an upcoming movie starring Kevin Hart and the much-loved Showtime television show “Girls.”

[pagebreak]

Every New Year’s, her family carries out a tradition. Everyone must be home from their respective New Year’s festivities for a family prayer. This past New Year’s, Kimberly made goals for herself during the prayer: obtain representation from an agency, get into New York Fashion Week and get a lead in a commercial. 

Every single goal she made came to fruition.

“So far, I’ve accomplished every goal for the past two years. I just don’t think about it, I just do it. My brother always taught me [not to] think too much about something, do everything possible to do it.  He is one of those people who believes ‘don’t explain what you’re going to do, show them what you’re going to do,’” she said.

Although, she has experienced phenomenal achievements, she quickly grounds herself. Kimberly emphasizes that she is still just like everyone else.

“You have to remember who you were before you started. You have to remember that you’re still a person,” she said. 

What keeps her humble and positive is the massive support that she receives from her family and friends. Especially her parents.

“They constantly remind me ‘hey, be careful and thank the people that you got to this point,'” she said.

When I asked her if she had social media sites she wanted others to know about, she answered with an emphatic “yes!” With her signature friendly approachability, she invites her followers to contact her if they want someone to talk to and need advice. Her Facebook is more than a place to post pictures and updates on her career. She also wants to provide a place of positivity and motivation for those who need it. The same support that she receives from the people in her life, she offers to people around her.

“I’ve been given so much in my life and I am so thankful! I just feel it’s right to share that experience with those around me. My main goal in life is to be someone who is looked up to in a positive way. I want to be the reason someone never gave up!” she said.

Words of advice?

“Coming from me…you’re going to get rejected a lot, it’s going to hurt, it’s going to tear you apart but you just have to pull yourself back together. I think what’s important is having that support system. I surround myself with friends that believe in me. I used to have friends that used to say, ‘don’t do this, this is the dumbest job ever, you’re never going to make it.’ If they don’t believe in you, just drop them. If you’re family doesn’t believe in you, find someone who will,” she said.

She also encourages people to draw inspiration from other people.

“Reading success stories really help. People are going through the same thing as you. You’re always going to find people who are going through the same thing,”  she said. 

Kimberly attaches a disclaimer along with her words of advice — she urges women to find what works for them and embrace their individuality.

“Just because it happened to me, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen that way for you. Don’t compare yourself too much to people. Everybody is different, you have to figure out what is your situation and what are you going to do about it,” she said.

Instagram

Twitter

Facebook

Photo Credits:

Cover Photo, Photo 1 & 2: Provided by The Cup of Sunshine Photography

Photo 3 & 4: Provided by Kimberly Corrigan

A writer with a penchant for alliteration, fervent fan of of Lost who still can't accept that it's over, voracious reader, lover of literature, and Netflix enthusiast.  Say hi on Twitter @kiarasharee
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.