Jenilee Holgado from DEM & ICF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: 
Jenilee Holgado

Year:
Junior

Major:
Pre-clinical lab science

Who are your major role models & why?
I’d have to say my parents are my major role models. They raised me to become the person I am today by setting a good example for me. My mom has always been the more sociable one, showing me how to treat people respectfully by just being honest and genuine. My dad taught me how to become successful as a leader and dedicated to whatever I set my mind and heart to. I definitely wouldn’t be who I am today without them.

What is your dream job?
My dream job may not sound all that glamorous, but as a pre-clinical lab science major I’d love to work for either a large hospital as a clinical laboratory scientist or (aiming high) work for the CDC. Even though I am a pre-health major and have always been interested in the health field, I’m also really into event planning. Clinical lab is perfect for me since the hours are not as demanding as a doctor’s which would leave me time to still be involved with event planning and coordinating. I’m still not completely sure about my career later on, but idealistically it would be something like that.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Since I’m 20, I guess in 10 years when I’m 30 I hope to have a pretty stable career with a stable relationship and still having fun enjoying life.

What positions in organizations do you hold?
I am the director of the 2012-13 Intercultural Festival Planning Board (ICF) and I’m also historian in Delta Epsilon Mu (DEM), the pre-health fraternity.

What is the mission of ICF?
The mission of the Intercultural Festival is to is to bring together Virginia Commonwealth University and the surrounding communities in a celebration of the diversity of the Student Body and its cultures. The Planning Board was created to provide a platform for the expansion of knowledge and an opportunity to socialize in a balanced and interesting venue for cultural expression. In short, ICF was created to celebrate all the cultural diversity VCU and Richmond have to offer.

How did this year’s ICF event, “A Taste of Europe” turn out?
This year’s event was very successful. Since it was scheduled for the night that fall break started, we actually weren’t expecting that huge of a turn out. The amount of attendance was twice that of what we were expecting. The mini pumpkins were, again, one of our most popular activities, but students also seemed to really enjoy our green screen photos where you could take a picture in front of a European landmark to take home.

How long have you been a member of Delta Episilon Mu (DEM)?
I have officially been a member of DEM for a year and a half.

What do you love most about DEM?
I love everything g about my fraternity, but if I had to pick something I love the most, it’s the family aspect. I rushed DEM as a freshman and I barely knew anyone when I first got the VCU. After becoming a member, I really felt welcomed and actually a part of the campus. The members of Delta Epsilon Mu are much more than just my support system emotionally and academically, they are my family away from home.

What motivates you to be a leader?
I used to think some people were “natural born leaders,” but I used to be a part of the Emerging Leaders Program and learned otherwise. I’m not sure what exactly motivates me to be a leader. It might just be I’ve always been used to taking on leadership roles (I’m the oldest out of my siblings) or I enjoy seeing the outcome of work put into a project. Seeing an event or project come out with such amazing results is rewarding in itself.

Is there anything else you would like to share about yourself?
I guess random stuff. I’m Filipino, from Northern VA. I love working with kids. I also love art and crafts, cooking and baking– especially as my way to destress.  

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo