This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This year has been a constant relay of hot-button topics. One second women’s bodies are under the microscopic lens of national policy for everyone to debate. The next, the 13th amendment (yes, the one that abolished slavery) is under reconsideration in five states

2022 is not a presidential election year, but every vote matters ahead of the major political shifts that are about to take place. During the midterm election this year, all 435 seats in the House of Representatives are up for grabs in addition to 35 out of 100 seats in the Senate. On top of that, 36 out of the 50 states are electing new governors.

The Democratic party’s slight House majority is on thin ice and the exact same can be said for the partisanship of the Senate, directly in a 50/50 split. This midterm election will set the tone for the rest of Biden’s presidency and policy on crucial topics such as climate change, abortion, gun control and COVID-19 response. 

There is no better time to prepare to make a mark in this election other than National Voter Registration Day, this Tuesday, Sept. 20. 

VCU is gearing up for the celebration with many events around campus where you can register, learn more about how Virginia is affected in this upcoming election, and meet with the active groups on campus. VCU Votes, the Andrew Goodman Foundation and the Black Student Union will be tabling at the Compass on Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with games, snacks and resources to make registration a breeze.

Black Student Union‘s Vice President Cameron Hart shared, “we are committed to assisting our members with a multitude of resources like the national voter drive this Tuesday. I believe it’s our responsibility to be active members in our community. It’s critical to discuss politics outside of election cycles and sort of normalize civic engagement.”

The Andrew Goodman Foundation, named after the Civil Rights activist, works to support youth leadership and voting accessibility on college campuses. The ambassador program was reestablished in tandem with VCU Votes this semester by two Honors College students, Nellie Edwards and Taya Coates.

VCU Votes is a nonpartisan organization working to promote voter engagement on campus. Follow @vcuvotes on Instagram for more information on voter registration and events leading up to election day.

For ways to get further politically involved on campus, reach out to VCU Votes and the VCU Votes Student Coalition for non-partisan work, or VCU Democrats or VCU Republicans to partner with a specific party. 

Virginia Student Power is a great resource to work with grassroots activists working on campus and in the Richmond Community. Catch The Fire, is another grassroots group at VCU that works in the community to illuminate the concerns of students. 

Can’t wait to register? Register or check your Virginia registration status and location here. If you wish to have a ballot mailed to you because you can’t make it in person on Election Day, apply for an absentee ballot by Oct. 28 at 5 p.m. This election is too serious to sleep on.

Taya Coates is a senior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in journalism. She hopes to pursue a career as a fashion editor and eventually start her own publication. She is passionate about covering stories on style, social activism, and culture.