It’s Time to Clean Up Your Makeup Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Now that it’s spring, it’s time for us all to do some spring cleaning in our makeup collection. I know we all have a beloved product that we refuse to get rid of because we love the feel or look of it. However, this hoarding of old makeup products is a lot worse for you than you probably think. Here are the approximate lifespans for your makeup collection.

Eye Products:

Mascara and Liquid Eyeliner

Lifespan: Three to six months

Now, I know what you are thinking, why do I need to replace it so frequently? Every time you use your mascara and eyeliner you transfer bacteria back into the tube after use. This bacteria builds up over the time of use and can lead to eye infections and skin irritation if the product is not replaced in a timely manner.

Pencil Liner, Lip Liners and Brow Pencils

Lifespan: Two to three years

Since pencil liners are used so frequently, they are sharpened and most of the bacteria that can be collected on the pencil when used ends up coming off the pencil. This increases the amount of time you can use these pencils.

Eyeshadow

Lifespan: Six months to two years

Why? While regular eyeshadow needs to be replaced every two years, cream shadows need to be replaced every six months. The difference in time has to do with the textures of the shadows, the cream based shadow is able to hold more bacteria in while regular shadow does not keep as much bacteria on it.

Face Products:

Powder Foundation, Blushes, Highlighters and Contours

Lifespan: Up to three years

Powders are able to keep for a while due to not containing oils and water, however, as soon as the product color or texture changes then it is time to toss it. Also, washing makeup brushes and sponges regularly helps the products last a lot longer than if you do not wash them regularly.

Liquid Foundation, Concealers and Primers

Lifespan: Six months to two years

Liquid foundations, concealers and primers are home to a lot a bacteria, especially when the product is not in a pump bottle. Due to this presence of bacteria, over time the product can change in appearance, smell and texture, when this happens you need to throw the product away.

Skin Care:

All Types

Lifespan: Six months to one year

As the product you use sits, it can start to separate and degrade since it has already been exposed to air outside of the original packaging. Refer to the back of the packaging of the product for the FDA mandated expiration date.

Non-Face Related Products:

Nail Polish

Lifespan: One to two years

This needs to be replaced as soon as the texture, or composition, of the polish changes into a stringy, chunky or even separated mixture. For the polish to last the longest, it is recommended that you store polishes in cool and dry places.

Perfume

Lifespan: Two or more years

Since no bacteria really gets into the bottle then it is a lot easier to keep perfume for longer periods of time. As perfume sits, however, the scent can change and even become unpleasant over time.

A great way to increase the lifetime on your products is to wash your brushes at least twice a week and throw away your disposable makeup sponges at least once a month.  Well, what are you waiting for, get to cleaning!

Photo Credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Sources: 1 2 3 4

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!