Inspiration: Following Your Dreams at VCU — Talita Jackson, Dancing Diva

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.
  • Describe your life from childhood through high school 

My childhood was like the lives of many. I had very demanding parents in terms of my behavior, grades and family morals and values.  My parents were consumed with success and being successful. My adolescent years became challenging as I started to see the fabric of my family deteriorate.  I was very active and began, in high school, burying my head into my extracurricular activities.

• How long have you been dancing?

I have been dancing formally, for about 16 years.  Informally, since birth. My mom loved to dance so she would dance with me. At 5, I had a “What you want to be when you grow up” assembly and of course with the help of my mom I went as a dancer.  After that, I started class at The Richmond Ballet but quickly quit because I was not fond of wearing tights – they itched. 

• Explain your dance career.

Started dancing at 13. I learned at Pine Camp.  I competed and traveled with the City Dance Troupe.  Taught my first Kinder jazz and Hip-Hop classes at Pine Camp at the age of 16. I continued dancing throughout high school and assisted in hip-hop workshops throughout the region.  I also attended the Center for Art specialty center for dance at Henrioc High School for a year as well as the Richmond Ballet.  After high school, I began to coach and currently coach the Pure Elegance dance girl team at Henrico High School.

I attended  Virginia Commonwealth University for dance and choreography.  While at VCU I taught at four different places. Pine Camp, Unique Concepts Dance Academy, Pilates Dance and More and at Henrico High School. (previously mentioned). After my college career I started teaching more classes at the Richmond City Dance Program (Pine Camp).  

I taught for a 3 month period at Thomas Dale High School Specialty Center.  I continued coaching the dance team at Henrico. I coach The Creme’ De La Creme’ dance team, which are the cheerleaders for the ABA team here in Richmond (known as the Richmond Elite.) I currently teach the dance elective at George Wythe High School and teach the hip-hop dance elective at VCU.   During the summer months I have taught dance with the Mayors Youth Academy.

• What styles do you specialize in and what styles do you like the most?

I specialize in Jazz, Hip-Hop and Modern.  I like Jazz the most but Hip-Hop is what I am the most passionate about because it makes me feel so free.

• Who inspires you the most, whether it be in dance, music, art, life, anything?

I have always been sort of a loner,  I stay to myself but have a lot of people around – if that makes any sense.  But all of my inspiration comes from within.  God has a great deal to do with that. That’s my belief.  He gave me this talent and I am thankful. 

My motivation is being as great as I can be and to touch as many lives as I can on my way to greatness.

• How did you start teaching for VCU, in particular the hip hop class?

Well, I was a student at VCU and was always interested in hip-hop.  By the dance world being so small and Richmond being even smaller, I assumed my professors heard of what I was doing, dance wise in the community and asked me to teach a workshop.  From  that workshop, I taught summer school and from summer school I was asked to have a semester class and that led to me teaching for the last past 5 semesters. Its been great.  It has truly been an honor.  I remember I used to sit where my students are sitting today – nostalgic.

• What’s your favorite part about teaching? Least favorite? Are there differences between your college and high school students?

My favorite thing about teaching is the energy that I share with my students in class. I love challenging my students and I love watching them over come the challenges.  The least favorite thing I like are the kids who do not push themselves and their parents.  I think in dance, parents can be the most influential for the children and their growth.

• Did you have any other jobs and career choices/goals in the past? What were they?  Yes. Before I went to High School I wanted to be a lawyer and before I went to VCU to study dance I wanted to be a Chemical Engineer.  I always wanted to bar tend and I bar tended at 321 Supper Club. Those were GREAT TIMES!  A year ago I also went into fitness.  I taught hip-hop aerobic classes and worked as a fitness consultant at American Family Fitness.

• Have you had any major turning points or obstacles in your career?

Yes.  I am a very tough teacher  and I do not believe in failure so I do not allow my students to fail. So with that being said I have ruffled a few feathers of some parents by my steadfastness and tenacity.  I have been reprimanded for my beliefs, which has had me to reevaluate where and whom I am teaching. However, I would never stop teaching or tailor myself or my beliefs because of others.  I am who I am because of my belief in God and who he is.

• What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses (in dance and/or in general)?

In dance, my weakness is my basic foundation and structure.  In general, my weakness is memory and more than that my organization skills. My strength is my will to learn and relearn…I also think I am a great teacher and an even better choreographer.  In general, my positive nature.

• What do you like to do outside of dance?

I like to be with my son and people I love, I love to cook. I’m a chef in my own mind. I like to shop, read, listen to music and travel.

• How do you come up with your choreography?

I let the spirit move me because it is all of the top of my head.  How ever I’m feeling at the moment.  it is the most authentic.

• How do you feel about the dance today in terms of its presence in the entertainment industry?

History repeats itself as far as hip-hop goes….but the music these days are missing a lot of substance so the dance is.  But as far as on the stage I think that because of the future an technology it has helped choreographers be a little bit more innovative.

• If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be?

VIVACIOUS

I met Talita Jackson this semester when I began taking her hip-hop dance class at VCU. Every class, along with the intense choreography she teaches, provides students with words of wisdom. Those words usually correlate to dance as much as they do to life in general. She is positive and encouraging and expects nothing but effort and dedication from her students. She understands that not everyone is the best dancer, but as long as we try, she is with us every step of the way. Jackson is a pleasure to work with and makes dancing and working out fun.

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo