Life > Experiences

The Importance of Celebrating Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As an avid fan of Parks and Recreation, I still remember the first time I heard of Galentine’s Day⁠—it was the episode “Galentine’s Day” where protagonist Leslie Knope was celebrating “only the best day of the year.” Every Feb. 13th, Leslie explains, “my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style! Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.” 

Ever since I watched that episode, it made me realize the importance of celebrating the platonic love that exists in female friendships. In a world where it is so easy to get caught up in our own day to day lives, it is nice to have a day set aside to appreciate those gal pals who have been and will always be there for you! The most wonderful thing about Galentine’s day is that it isn’t nearly as divisive as Valentine’s day. There is no requirement to be in any kind of relationship. Instead, it is simply a celebration of women by women!

2 women making the word love with their hands
Pexels / Leah Kelley

Not only can Galentine’s day acknowledge the strength behind female friendships, but it can also be used as a way to de-stress and unwind. Being around people you care about improves your mental health and inspires us to take action towards securing our futures. In fact, according to a study conducted by UCLA, healthy female friendships can help counteract the stress of daily life. According to the study, the female response to stress is a chemical cascade made up of hormones, such as oxytocin. This causes us, women, to protect the young and seek the company of other females, thereby further increasing the amounts of oxytocin which has an overall calming effect on women. This is the opposite behavior to what occurs in males, who do not experience this same hormone cascade. This is also why it is especially important for girls to maintain healthy friendships.

Also, it is important to maintain friendships as we grow older and busier. It is easy to get caught up in the stressors of daily life. With more responsibilities comes an increased need for support and nurturing from our fellow females! Whether it be stress from coursework, career planning or family life, having the support and encouragement from girlfriends can help ensure a healthy state of mind. It’s not just talk⁠—it’s science!

Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

Some things I like to do with my friends to celebrate Galentine’s day are binge-watch Parks and Recreation, watch rom-coms, bake cookies, play board games and go out for dinner! This year, my roommates and I have decided to spend our Galentine’s day baking sugar cookies, cooking dinner and watching the new sequel to To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before⁠—”P.S. I Still Love You!”

Since this special day is all about girls celebrating girls, I hope you all can do just that! Whether it be with your roommates, co-workers or best friends, I hope you all have an amazing Galentine’s Day!

Rishitha is a senior at VCU majoring in Bioinformatics, while on the pre-medical track. When she isn't in classes, she loves to binge-watch sitcoms, cook, bake, and spend time with her friends and family! In her future, she hopes to become a physician and make meaningful impacts on patients' lives!