Style > Beauty

I Tried Following a Victoria Secret Makeup Tutorial, Here’s What Happened…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I have always been looking for the perfect beauty routine. Something quick and easy but also looks flawless and effortless. Whenever I have thought about flawless and effortless beauty, I think of the Victoria Secret Angels. Being a huge makeup lover, I have seen most of these videos but have never tried recreating them entirely.

There were two Victoria Secret Makeup tutorials that I wanted to try to recreate, one was from a while ago, in 2011. In the video, makeup artist Jenna Anton shows you how to recreate the look from the Victoria Secret fantasies campaign on Victoria Secret angel Candice Swanepoel. I have been watching this video ever since I began learning how to apply makeup.

The other video I wanted to attempt to follow is one Elsa Hosk made only a few months ago. The video was made to show off her wearing the fantasy bra in the 2018 Victoria Secret Fashion Show. In the video, she does her own makeup look and it is quick and lightweight. I would say the makeup is flawless, but she is already so flawless she didn’t need much help. I chose to try to recreate this video because I wanted to try something that was easy enough that the model could be doing her own makeup.

I began watching her video and here are the 11 steps she took to do her everyday Victoria Secret Angel makeup look:

1. Eye drops

The first step was eye drops, which is something that most people don’t really think of before doing their makeup, but I do. I used to get really red and dry eyes when wearing a lot of eye makeup so this is actually something I already do, but is a great tip for those who also tend to get irritated eyes from makeup!

2. Lash curler

After eye drops she curled her lashes to keep them full and luscious.

3. Concealer

Elsa used two different concealers, one slightly lighter than her complexion and one slightly darker. The lighter one she placed under her eyes and around her nose, anywhere she wanted to cover up. The darker color she placed as a contour below her cheekbones and on her jawline. She then blended everything in with a beauty blender.

4. Highlighter

Elsa then used a cream highlighter stick and placed that on her cheekbones to add a subtle glow to her skin.

5. Bronzer

Elsa applied a light bronzer to all the areas that she contoured to warm up her face, applying the bronzer with a big, fluffy brush. She also applied the bronzer under her bottom lip to make her lips look more full, which is one of my favorite makeup secrets.

6. Blush

After bronzer, she lightly applied a pink blush to her cheeks to give her cheeks a subtle flush.

7. Eye shadow

Elsa’s eye shadow is super simple and great for an everyday look. First, she applied a powder highlighter into her inner-corner. Then, she threw a matte, medium brown shade in her crease, and blended it out. After that, she went back to the powder highlighter and added some to her brow bone.

8. Eyebrows

After shadow, Elsa filled in her brows using a brow pencil. She filled them in quite lightly trying to create natural hair-like strokes instead of filling them in harshly.

9. Eyeliner

Elsa used an eyeliner pen to create a cat eye look. She said she loves cat eyes when doing her makeup.

10. Mascara

Eyes are what Elsa is all about. She applied a generous amount of mascara. 

11. Lips

Lastly, Elsa applied a nude lip liner and peachy-pink lip gloss to finish her everyday makeup look.

Overall, the makeup look was pretty similar to what I wear on an everyday basis when I do wear makeup. For someone who is used to a more full-coverage look, trying a look out like this one may be beneficial to a quick and lighter makeup routine. This makeup look was so much fun to recreate and I challenge you to try to recreate it as well! If nothing else, try switching up your regular makeup routine to try a different look, you never know what might work for you!

Photos: Cover photo, 1, 2, 3, 4

Meagan is a Junior at Virginia Commonwealth University obtaining a degree in bachelor of Science (B.S) with a concentration in Health Science. Meagan would describe herself as a free spirit whose goal in life is to be happy. She is interested in natural and organic beauty products and enjoys fashion and makeup. Although she does not label herself as vegan, she tries to eat mostly plant-based. Meagan's career goal is to be a health and wellness writer for a company. She will be graduation in the year 2020. Currently, Meagan is an active She enjoys all things natural beauty and sustainability. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia where she lived with her Mom, Dad, and older brother who attends Virginia Tech.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!