Hurricane Sandy is Scheduled to Hit VCU Sunday Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) students should expect inclement weather conditions from the onslaught of Hurricane Sandy from Sunday night through Monday in the Richmond area, according to the National Weather Service. Students can prepare for power outages by loading up on nonperishable foods, water bottles, flashlights and batteries. Students should also anticipate the drop of trees due to severe winds and rainfall. The Richmond area could get 4 to 5 inches of rain and gusts up to 50 mph.

So far, Hurricane Sandy has killed more than 50 people in the Caribbean. 

Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones declared a state of emergency on Saturday for the city. Dominion Virginia Power is advising its customers to prepare for multiday power outages and has thousands of workers on standby to assist in restoring power.

To date, VCU has not cancelled classes. Nonetheless, it is advised that Richmond residents evacuate the area (if possible).  

Satellite view of the enormous cloud field associated with Hurricane Sandy. (NASA)

Hurricane Sandy’s projected path. (The Weather Channel)

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo