How to Advocate for Our Communities now that Glenn Youngkin is Governor-Elect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Last week, Virginians voted for a new governor. However, almost half of the state seems to be reasonably upset about the winner, Glenn Youngkin. He is a complete newcomer compared to the Democratic candidate, Terry McAuliffe. Youngkin comes from a business background; he was the Chief Operating Officer of Carlyle, a private equity firm. Furthermore, he advocates for police officers and pledges to fully fund them, which is extremely controversial considering how protesters were treated by the Richmond Police Department in 2020.

In addition, he states that he plans to fully reopen Virginia, including schools. He also plans to ban Critical Race Theory from schools. Moreover, Youngkin plans to create charter schools throughout our state. There are many more controversial plans that he has, but these stuck out the most to me. Unfortunately, what is done is done, and all we can do is support our communities.

Donating

There are several different ways you can support your community, such as donations. Donations can be anything from supplies to money. You can give back by donating to a person in need, directly or through an organization. One organization that services the Richmond community is The Mutual Aid Distribution Fund.

Volunteering

Volunteering is also a good way to give back. On top of that, it is also a great way to feel connected to those in your community and have fun while making a difference. There are a number of volunteer opportunities that would have a positive impact on our community.

Active Listening
Scott Pierce compares active listening through improv while explaining how to actively listen.

Listening may not always be thought of as helping your community. However, I disagree. Active listening is a great way to understand those who may be different from you. Furthermore, I also believe that this type of listening is a great way for you to learn to advocate for other people. Rather than reading about an issue online, you can ask someone who is affected by that issue and their experiences.

Being an Advocate

Advocating for marginalized individuals within your community is so important. I am not saying that you need to create a whole movement; rather, you should be amplifying other’s voices so that they may be seen and heard by those who refuse to listen. Furthermore, you should also be an advocate for marginalized communities while talking to your friends and family. When someone says something that you know is not okay, correct them and educate them.

Hopefully, we will have a better Democratic candidate, and more people will go out to vote in 2025. In addition, I pray that these four years go by quickly with minimal damage to marginalized communities. Moreover, I hope that people continue to advocate for marginalized communities in this dark period. If you are worried about these next few years, you are not alone. Do not worry, just keep doing what you have been doing and take care of yourself. The Mutual Aid Distribution Fund has grants that you may apply for and if you are eligible for unemployment, Virginia has recently opened it back up. Lastly, I hope that our communities get stronger and more tight knit with Glenn Youngkin in office.

Kaitlyn Austin is an alumnus of Virginia Commonwealth University, with a bachelor's in political science with a concentration in civil rights. She is passionate about social justice, advocacy, and astrology.