This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Fall break is coming up as we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving. I remember in elementary school learning about the “history” of Thanksgiving as a peaceful celebration of trading goods and services between the pilgrims and the Native Americans. As we know now, that is not the truth and it is quite disturbing that for hundreds of years, we have been ignoring the tragedies that happened during that time of English colonization. The more modern approach to celebrating this cultural holiday is to reflect on what we are grateful for, do good for others and share food with friends and family.

A few years ago, I took a psychology class and we each started a gratitude journal that we wrote in every day for four months. This class changed my life because it forced me to show gratitude post-quarantine depression and my perspective of my life was altered. Science proves that when we write down positive notes, our brains are trained to look for simple everyday pleasures and it deepens the positive emotional impact. In my opinion, it keeps you humble as well. Every day of November I have been challenging myself to write down something I am grateful for. This practice has improved my mood, allowed me to take a second to breathe in the midst of my busy schedule and put my life into perspective.

It is easy to get overwhelmed with the state of the world and bad news seems to circulate constantly on social media. This stream of negative thoughts and hopelessness can feel suffocating and while there is not much we can do to help, we can do one thing: volunteer our time in our community. I watched Dan Buettner’s “Live To 100: Secrets Of The Blue Zones” twice now and I have spent the past two months researching more about the people living in the blue zones of the world. One of their secrets is to spend lots of time with friends and family and volunteering your time to better your community. Some of the numerous benefits from helping others include increased social interactions, boosts self confidence, reduced risk of depression, lowered levels of stress hormones, better physical health and much more. 

In the United States, capitalistic Black Friday celebrations have hurried people out of their dinner seats to shop for the best deals of the season. After researching Canadian Thanksgiving traditions, I appreciate the country’s celebration of giving thanks and they never participated in Black Friday like we do in the United States. Historically, Canadians celebrated their harvest and thanked God for keeping New World explorers safe. Their second Mondays of October traditions today are to spend the weekend outdoors or going on a small vacation. We should take notes from Canada’s Thanksgiving celebrations and spend time basking in gratitude, cooking food, and venturing outdoors. 

There are many different ways that we can celebrate giving thanks. I believe it is essential to spend this time reflecting on our lives and write down what we are grateful for. Doing good for others, cooking for friends and family are one of the many ways we can take advantage from time off of school and work. Ask your non-American friends to join you in celebrating Thanksgiving- the traditional food is worth an offer! Volunteer on campus whether that be at the campus food pantry, tutoring a friend or checking out organizations that host charity work. The week before Black Friday, “Pink Friday” gives small local businesses a chance to offer their deals before big retailers do- go support them. Surprise your friends with a dessert. Nobody is too busy to do good for others. Positive attitudes and good deeds are contagious. How will you spend Thanksgiving?

Ariana is a fashion merchandising major and theater minor at Virginia Commonwealth University with interests in costume design and film. She is a member of the editorial team and is enthusiastic about sustainability, fashion, beauty, mental health, and current events. She loves supporting women through HC.