This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Spring break may be seen as a time to relax or vacation, but it marks a vital point in the semester—a point where you can either get your sh*t together or you can let everything fall through the cracks. If you’re anything like me, you may have spent a lot fo this semester already playing catch up. With graduation right around the corner and every fiber of my being ready for me to get the hell out of college, I wasn’t the most motivated when classes began, especially considering that they are some of the hardest classes I have taken in my career as a college student, so spring break is the perfect time to hit reset on all the things that have gotten way too out of control and be able to finish the rest of the semester out strong.

woman typing on a laptop
Pexels / bongkarn thanyakij

Make Up Your Late Assignments

If your professors allow you to turn in late assignments for partial credit, you might as well turn it in now and take some points over a zero, right? With a week to get everything done, make sure you don’t forget to delegate some time to the assignments that were already supposed to be handled. Even if it was from the beginning of the semester, it can help with refining a concept that may not be clear to you or a good study session for midterms and finals (they’ll be here before you know it), so it is worth some time to look over.

Start Upcoming Assignments

Getting a head start on the assignments you have coming up will not only prepare you for what is to come, but it will help take some of the stress off your plate later down the line while you have a million other things going on. Whatever assignments you can get out of the way now—no matter how small—can save you time and energy later, especially while you have a week of free time on your hands.

Catch Up On Your Notes

I don’t know about you, but notes are one of the first things I let get out of hand when my semester starts to fall apart. I zone out in class, which leads me to stop taking notes and then I end up lost and confused come test time, but spring break is the perfect opportunity for you to buckle down and catch up on all you’ve missed, especially if your professor posts the lectures online or you record them. If not, reading through your textbook will give you a general understanding of what to expect, so you aren’t as in the dark and have material to study for, without re-reading the same book over and over.

Plan for the Future

For all of the graduating seniors, spring break is the perfect time to fine-tune your resume and cover letter, as well as build your portfolio in order to get your perfect dream job come May. You should also consider submitting a few applications during your break while you have some free time to sit down and knock them out.

Don’t Forget To Take Time For Yourself

Lastly, don’t forget to take time and relax. Spring break is a break for you and your mental health, so take advantage of it. That is to say, don’t spend the entire week lounging about, but take a few days to try something new. You only have a few years in college, so make it count.

Maia is a senior at VCU double majoring in Print/Online Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. She loves to write about fashion and beauty and spends her free time reading, writing, and taking naps.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!