This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When I moved into my first apartment I gawked at the expensive prices that furniture and decor were being sold for. I strived to make my apartment beautiful and comfortable but that can prove difficult when you are working with a budget. So, I turned to my favorite kind of shopping. Thrifting. Shopping second hand helped me build my wardrobe with stylish and long-lasting pieces. Why couldn’t it also help me to furnish my apartment? Rather than searching through every thrift store, I decided to expand my reach, by using sites that catered toward selling items second hand.

Facebook Marketplace

Facebook Marketplace is one of the best second-hand sites to locally find inexpensive furniture. Forget eBay and instead rely on this social media site to help you create an aesthetically pleasing environment. The best thing about Facebook Marketplace is that it uses your location to look for sellers local to your area. With the amount of users on Facebook, it creates a large selection of furniture and decor pieces to choose from. Also, when you save an item or search for a piece of furniture it will show you other listings like it and inform you when it was listed. You can easily organize your favorite items into lists.

Letgo

Letgo is a lot like Facebook Marketplace. It also uses location services to help users find the best deals near them. The app also makes it easy for buyers to ask sellers questions about an item that they’re interested in. It also has different categories that users can shop from like, electronics, fashion and garden. Most sellers are also open to bargaining and price offers so don’t be afraid to ask for a smaller fee.

Depop

Depop is mainly used for selling vintage clothing items but they actually have a large selection of decor items. It may be hard to purchase furniture but if you’re looking for interesting knick-knacks and prints to help elevate your space, then you’re looking in the right place. Depop also has a buyer protection policy so, if your item arrives damaged or doesn’t arrive at all you can still be refunded. 

Local Antique Shops

Shopping locally is always a good idea for your community. However, shopping locally at antique stores is not just a good idea for your community, but a good idea for the environment and for your wallet. Also, purchasing items at antique stores ensures that you’re the only person who has the item. Gone are the days when everyone owned identical items that filled a room, now you can have a space that’s as unique as you are.

Now you can relax and not have to worry about hurting your wallet to create an aesthetic environment. 

Sarah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University and is majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Fashion Merchandising. Sarah enjoys reading, writing, and discussing sustainable fashion brands. Sarah spends most of her time, and money, on Depop fueling her shopping addiction. Follow her on instagram @Sarah_parker9 and Twitter @_parker_9
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!