This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Going to college is a challenge for everyone. You’re away from your family, your friends and everything you have ever known. When I first got to VCU, I felt very lonely and confused. I didn’t know anyone besides my roommate, and I was having a hard time making friends. Some people told me to go through recruitment, but I thought it wasn’t for me, I decided not to go through with it. I had a very negative image of the “sorority girl” and Greek life in general. My view was based on stereotypes from what I saw in movies and what I heard from people talking. As the year went by, I met a couple of girls that were in Greek life, and that was when I realized that the ideas I had in my head of what sorority girls were like were untrue.

As time went on, I became closer and closer with those girls. It felt as if I had finally found the group of people I belonged with. These girls helped me with all of the things that I could possibly have needed. They were there for me when I broke up with my boyfriend, and they helped me with school work when I needed it—these girls stuck beside me no matter what. Then the time finally came when I would be able to go through formal sorority recruitment, and I ended up becoming part of an organization that I am now proud to call my home.

girl and friends picture picnic
Photo by Aline Viana Prado from Pexels

Since joining the sorority, I was able to become closer with more sisters than I was before, and I have found a group of people who will stick by me no matter what. That wasn’t the only thing that I gained from joining the sorority. As cheesy as it sounds, being part of an organization like this is way more than just finding your friends for life or your future bridesmaids. One thing I am eternally grateful for is our philanthropy. Being able to raise money for Breast Cancer education and awareness and helping women all over the world is one of the best feelings in the world. Not only has this organization allowed me to help women I do not know, but also I can help my sister, my mother, my aunts and my friends. I have gained so much knowledge about breast cancer and have been able to help those women I am closest to. 

Another thing I love about Greek life, and being part of a sorority is all of the leadership opportunities I have encountered. Since I was a sophomore, when I joined, I decided to apply for a position on the Executive Committee of my sorority. I ended up getting that position, which was extremely exciting. Since then, I have learned so much about leadership and also about my work ethic and myself as a leader. All of these opportunities have been given to me because of my sorority, and it is probably something I would not have experienced otherwise. I am so thankful that I get to be part of such an amazing organization. 

Fran Ramos is a VCU student where she is majoring in Public Relations. She spends most of her time trying new Pho restaurants with her friends or listening to music. She is a mom to three cats, Lorenzo, Teresa and Oswald and loves to spam her social media followers with pictures of them.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!