Cynthia Nixon as “Miranda Hobbes,” Sarah Jessica Parker as “Carrie Bradshaw,” Kristin Davis as “Charlotte York.”
HBO Max
Style > Fashion

How “And Just Like That” Encourages us to Push the Limits in our Fashion Choices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Earlier this year, “Sex and the City” (SATC) had its long-awaited sequel “And Just Like That.” The show follows three of the four main characters on their journey of parenthood, divorce, sexuality and even midlife crises. Carrie, Charlotte and Miranda have carefully crafted wardrobes that match their different personalities. Granted these women are in their mid to late fifties, their age does not hold them back from expressing themselves vibrantly and dramatically. This is not something that is widely accepted or expected from women in this age range. These New York women prove that personal style can be classy, sexy, and loud no matter your age. 

Carrie is known for her eccentric and unexpected style choices since the beginning of SATC and it is heightened in this new series. She mixes bold attire with incredible variation. In the picture below, Carrie wears an old-fashioned gingham house dress with a zip-up hoodie, two hair scarves, oversized sunglasses and the notorious dish gloves- in hot pink of course. This choice of wardrobe had viewers talking for days because of how strangely stylish it is put together. This character encourages women to embrace aging and to not be afraid to be confident in everyday outfit choices. We should all look through the lens of Carrie Bradshaw and know that we can rock anything we want.

Ze4Nj4xwgL64KkQyvGZErl1D SUD 2HT4D5G8i8c3Jhr1wqJmwtG17zArBPr9M3P IPlOPX8PNehVjEHLlz9Yw0rIo08oVDbSyi74t0O KRb4eyzjCe8Mr3 SAqmdodvzvkNth0B

Charlotte is credited for her classy, put-together, clean outfits that match her preppy lifestyle. This mom of two young girls is busy with school functions and volunteer work but this does not stop her from wearing puffy sleeves and heels to walk the dog. Charlotte represents the value of taking time for yourself even with a busy schedule. She offers clean cuts in designer pieces; in the picture below, Charlotte is carrying a Burberry doggy bag that shows that every part of her life is put together. She also proves that a woman can be smart and cultured and still be invested in herself through clothing and accessories. There is no shame in putting work in ourselves and Charlotte is here to confirm that. This character stresses the importance of taking time for yourself and letting that be transparent through modest clothing.

t9EFhjXO6WPE3B3m2rGQ9VmgUMDFQF61kJXZAVeFGu8vsovb3emh

Miranda is the most serious friend of the group, being a lawyer and viewing the world logically. This character shows viewers that her everyday outfits are practical and realistic as she goes to school, work and on casual days. Miranda struggles with finding her new identity as a lesbian and her wardrobe choices are experimental throughout. When she is at the height of trying to impress Che, Miranda slips on a burgundy jumpsuit with cutouts to try a new look. This character is comfortable with trying new styles that fit her mood. At the end of the series, Miranda confidently rocks this brown-belted jumpsuit. The neutral colors that she wears show her minimalism but the use of accessories helps to personalize her style. Miranda teaches us that we do not have to fit one mold that society thinks we should fit and that experimentation is the only way we will know who we are.

g10Z13WqpU7CtBo70rOlGzY6kLHeZC6JcbEMeoblvFYKCkmPzCWeZOF6WABs45Sw60nhNnMiNp8O8Npl9hSlmEz5DX IVg9EiF D9hQz8pfg8zn KKJ6ilAXqgFOUTlLSmsdfjLB

Does society need us to be Carrie, Charlotte or Miranda? Of course not, but we can all take tips from these stylish characters. 

Ariana is a fashion merchandising major and theater minor at Virginia Commonwealth University with interests in costume design and film. She is a member of the editorial team and is enthusiastic about sustainability, fashion, beauty, mental health, and current events. She loves supporting women through HC.