Hottest College Guy in the World: Where He Is Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In February 2013, Her Campus set out on a search for the ultimate Campus Cutie. Each chapter could nominate a Campus Cutie for the title of The Hottest College Guy in America. The winner would go up against The Hottest College Guy in Canada and the UK for the ultimate title of The Hottest College Guy in the World. And as you may or may not know, the cutie voted The Hottest College Guy in the World went to VCU (and yes, this constitutes bragging rights).

Matt Mitchell, The Hottest College Guy in the World, graduated in May 2014 from VCU with a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice. And since then he’s been making us proud. Mitchell now works in downtown Richmond at a staffing agency with an entry level sales position.

Aside just being named The Hottest College Guy in the World, Mitchell received a bunch of HerCampus swag, a personalized trophy and a new HP Pavilion laptop. He flew to Boston, Massachusetts to the Her Campus headquarters and modeled for shirts and accessories for the Her Campus Shop.

When thinking back on his big win, Mitchell remembers being completely shocked and surprised.

“When I started to win every round of the voting sessions, it really started to hit me that I might actually win,” Mitchell said. “I was surprised every time I made it through a round.”

Mitchell’s win triggered two different reactions from the ladies and his guy friends. The girls were giving off a lot more attention and the guys were giving him a lot more “crap,” he says.

“They were just jealous,” said Mitchell, when referring to his guy friends.

Being named The Hottest College Guy in the World might not be the first thing you want to tell someone when you first meet them, according to Mitchell. He became very meticulous about his title when it came to meeting new people.

“I’m definitely not ashamed of it,” Mitchell said. “It’s just not one of the first things I would tell someone when I first meet them.”

Leading up to Mitchell’s big win, his friends here at VCU were not the only ones with a reaction. His friends and family back home in Kilmarnock, Virginia were pretty excited, too.

“When my hometown found out about the contest, people started putting up flyers everywhere to vote for me,” Mitchell said. “The local newspaper also covered a story on it.”

At the end of the day, Mitchell will have the satisfaction of knowing that in the future, he can tell his kids and grandkids that he was named The Hottest College Guy in the World. Pretty cool, right?

Hello! My name is Noura Bayoumi and I am a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. I am studying print journalism with a minor in English. In my free time, I like to explore the city, spend time with my friends and family, and go outdoors.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!