High School Senior Year vs. College Senior Year: Some Key Things You’ll Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For anybody in any and all types of school, your last year is always the most nerve wracking. But the difference between high school and college is… astounding.  As a senior in university right now, I can attest that senior year in college is an entirely different beast than senior year in college.

So whether you’re a high schooler who’s curious about what’s waiting on the other side or a college senior looking to commiserate, let’s dive in.

Going to Class

High School:

In high school, senioritis is definitely a thing. And it hits like a g*ddamn freight train. That last semester is for sure the roughest. My 18-year-old ass was almost never in class. To quote the infamous vine, “I’m a bad b*tch. You can’t kill me.” 

College:

In college, we’re no longer doing that childish mess. You will catch me in every lecture, lab and/or study group this professor has to offer. We are not risking failing this class, no ma’am. My patience, sanity and bank account cannot afford it. I will take this class once and only once.

Days Before Graduation

High School:

A few days before graduation, prom is usually the biggest thing on any high schoolers mind. What dress are you going to wear? Whose car are we going to take? Should we all head to IHOP afterwards? Ah yes, it was a much simpler time.

College:

Days before graduation ends in college, the thoughts going through your mind are more like this. What am I going to do for the rest of my life? Was this degree the right choice? Was going to college even the right choice at all?

High School:

The feeling when you finally finish high school is without a doubt, relief. Those four years dragged on like there were cinder blocks tied to it.  When senior year finally ends, it comes like sunshine after rain.

College:

If cinder blocks were tied to the high school years, then high powered rockets were tied to the college years. Those four years sped past in a literal blink. And when that final semester comes rolling around, it leaves a sense of “now what?”

The Future

High School:

At the end of high school, everything is pretty mapped out early on. You got your acceptance to a college a few weeks (or months for all you early decisions, out there).  When people ask you, “what are you doing after high school?” there are clear answers you can give them.

College:

The senior semester of college feels like one big shrug. But if we’re being quite honest, the entirety of college probably felt like that too.

Whether it’s high school or college, seniors rejoice. You’re so close to the finish line. And you did that d*mn thing!

Arianna Coghill is a Print and Online Journalism major in her junior year at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's a huge fan of Tracee Ellis Ross, the Harry Potter series and thinly veiling her insecurities under a layer of sarcasm. She misses the oxford comma dearly and can usually be found writing and/ or binge watching various sci-fi television shows. #blacklivesmatter
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!