Healthy Diet Tips for Collegiettes Like You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The semester has started and with collegiettes settling into their life away from home, one of their many responsibilities is managing a healthy diet. The question is: how do you eat healthy while still managing to fill up your belly?

Although it may seem as if the food pyramid is out dated, collegiettes can use it as a helpful guide to manage a balanced diet. How do food groups contribute to a healthy lifestyle? According to writer Becca Sanz, a Squidooer who promotes healthy living on College campuses, the benefits of the food pyramid are as follows:

1. Brain Food
Grains give your brain and muscles energy and are a helpful source of B vitamins and iron. Try eating grains like rice, potatoes, pasta and whole grain breads somewhere in every meal.

2. Immunity Boost
Fruits and vegetables help your hair, blood, and eyes. The pair also help to boost your immune system. They are a fantastic source of A and C vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Try to have fruits and veggies like broccoli, pear, carrot, apple and zucchini 5 to 7 times a day. If you can manage 2 1/2 cups of veggies and 2 cups of fruit daily, you’re on the right track.

3. Milk products
Milk or dairy products, as the adage states, help with strong bones and teeth; they are a great source of calcium and protein. Try to have a serving of low fat dairy foods like an ounce of cheese, 8 ounces of milk, or a cup of yogurt, etc at least 3 times a day!

4. Keep infections away
Foods high in protein are known to help build muscles, fight infection, and heal wounds. Try to eat foods like peanut butter, fish, chicken, tofu, or eggs at two meals daily.

5. Silky soft hair
Fats and oils keep skin and hair soft, and give the feeling of fullness. They’re a good source of dietary fat. Add a little fat like salad dressing, olive oil, guacamole, or nuts to every meal for a more healthy diet.

6. Treat yourself
Lastly, remember to treat yourself, occasionally, to a few good cookies or a piece of wholegrain bread with a bit of Nutella. You deserve it!

Healthy Snack Ideas: 

• Granola: loose and in bar form
  • Oatmeal: packets
  • Trail mix
  • Popcorn: the less butter the better!
  • Nuts
  • Animal crackers
  • Tuna Fish
  • Apples and peanut butter
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Whole Grain Crackers
  • Pita Bread
  • Cereal
  • Cheese cubes
  • Yogurt cups
  • Smoothies
  • Baby carrots
  • Hummus & tortilla chips

Remember that everything is better in moderation. No matter how healthy someone eats, they should never over-do it. Also keep in mind that exercise and drinking a lot of water are the components to keeping that balanced and healthy lifestyle. Happy healthy eating everyone!

More information about Becca and her writings geared toward college students can be found at http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/Becca_Sanz.

More information relating to the Food Pyramid can be found at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/.

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo