Greek of the Week from Pi Lamda Phi & Theta Lambda Sigma, Mark Alford Rennie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Fraternity:  Pi Lamda Phi Fraternity and  Theta Lambda Sigma
Motto:  Not four years, but a lifetime.
Hometown: Midlothian
Siblings: Younger brother, Randy

Favorite color: Blue
Animal: Dog
Store: Express Mens
Show: True Blood
Actress: Meryl Streep
Music: House
Article of clothing: I like suits.
Facebook or Twitter: Facebook
Boxers or Briefs: Boxer Brief

Mark Alford Rennie is one of those guys that you want to be around. From his charming personality, impressive style, 

and overall nice demeanor, he is the guy you want to marry, the guy you want to be your best friend, and the guy you want to party with all wrapped-up in one. 

As a first generation college student, Mark is
 making the most out of his college experience here at VCU!  He speaks candidly about the things that he has gone through from embarrassing moments, struggles, highs & lows, and of course, college life at VCU. I sat down with mark and learned about his perfect date, hangover cures, and what he wants to do with his major; and I am pleased to present his interview in this week’s Greek of the Week!

Mark is not your average VCU student or Fraternity Brother. He is a member of both the social fraternity, Pi Lamda Phi, and the academic fraternity for professional development, Theta Lambda Sigma. He has even served as the Marshall (new member educator), Philanthropy Chair, Social Chair, and most recently, the chapter President.

Mark is a political science major who describes his relationship with political science as a “love/hate” relationship.

“I don’t like politics, but I love them … does that make sense?” Mark said.

After the tragic terrorists attacks on 9/11, Mark increasingly payed attention to the issues in the United States. Now he is majoring in political science and wants to use his education to make movies. He hopes to utilize movie-making to teach political science; and all though he is open minded to all types of film-making, he leans towards documentaries.  “Independent films are more for teaching you something, as opposed to entertaining you.” In ten years, Mark hopes to work in the film industry directing movies in New York City.

Q & A: 
Why did you choose to join  fraternity?
I didn’t do much in high school, I am the first person in my family to go to college, and I really wanted to participate in everything, so I knew I wanted to join a fraternity when I came – as a way to get involved.

What would you say to people who are

interested in joining a fraternity, but are not quite sure yet?
I always tell them to do their homework. Compare and contrast them. You really want to choose one that matches up with your ideals and your values. 

How does it work being in a fraternity and not being straight?
I guess it is more of my nature. I don’t have a whole lot of gay friends and I mesh more with straight guys. No one has every been rude to me in my fraternity; but people ask me all the time what it is like. Most people think fraternities are filled with only white douchebags, but even the fraternities that may appear to be that way are more liberal than you think. Actually, VCU is such a liberal school that almost all of the fraternities have at least one gay guy. 

What is something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I hate getting wet. I absolutely hate getting wet!  I always seem to get stuck out in the rain and I HATE it! I hate when things splash on me! I only take showers because I have to.

So how do you deal with that?
I’m miserable all day long.  Another weird pet peeve I have is that I hate things in my pockets, but I don’t have a man bag – I think that would be more annoying.

What is your dream date?
It would be someone surprising me as a secret admirer, and me finally seeing who it is; then it’s Channing Tattaum ready to whisk me away to Rome for the day; or David Beckham works too. I’m not picky!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Hopefully living in New York, working in some sort of film industry. I want to be making movies.

To wrap up Mark’s interview, one of my favorite quotes that he said in reference to his fraternity was, “We attract people that wouldn’t normally join a fraternity.” That statement embodies what Greek life at VCU is all about! No matter who you are, or where you come from, anyone who chooses to do so can find a place within the Greek system.

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo