Greek of the Week: Ali Muir from Alpha Sigma Alpha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Sorority: Alpha Sigma Alpha

Chapter name: Epsilon Gamma

Mascot/symbol: Dot the ladybug

Colors: Crimson, Pearl White, Palm Green and Gold

Motto: Aspire, Seek, Attain.

Birthday: May 31, 1994

Hometown: Alexandria, VA

Major: Psychology with a minor in religious studies

When did you pledge?

I decided to go through the Spring of 2014, my sophomore year

Are you involved in any other organizations?

No, but I’d like to be!

What’s something the typical VCU student should know about Alpha Sigma Alpha?

That we are more than women with letters on our shirts. We set and reach large philanthropic goals every year for all 4 of our philanthropies, including the Special Olympics  and Girls on the Run.

What’s your favorite memory in ASA?

I have so many favorite memories, but I think my all time favorite was the day I got my big. She’s helped me through a lot and no matter what situation we get ourselves in, we always make it into a great time.

What’s an accomplishment you’ve made in your sorority that you’re proud of?

I was the Charitable Giving and Service Chair, which really meant a lot to me. I was able to put together events, such as the Flag Football Tournament where all of the proceeds go to the S. June Smith Center and it really made me feel like I was making a difference.

Why did you choose to go greek?

I chose to go Greek because I hadn’t found where I wanted to be yet within VCU. I wanted to transfer, if I’m totally honest, but a friend convinced me to try it out and now I can’t even imagine the alternative.

What’s something unique to you about ASA?

I think the fact that there are so many different personalities makes for a truly unique experience. It’s an organization where no matter what you’re interested in, with hobbies or in school, there will be someone else that shares that interest.

Describe a time one of your sisters was there for you.

The first thing that comes to mind is when I was really struggling in one of my classes and a sister reached out and helped me study for the entire semester. School comes first, and I ended up doing really well in the class because of all of her help.

What do you like to do outside of your sorority?

I really love exploring and seeing what Richmond has to offer, especially the coffee shops. On top of that, I like to read for fun whenever I can, go to fun events like the Bacon Festival, and if it’s nice out, going to the river.

What have you learned about Richmond or VCU from ASA?

Well, sisters have shown me some of the best spots on the river to spend the day. On top of that, there are so many restaurants I never would have gone to without them showing me.

What would you say to somebody with a negative view of Greek life?

I would say don’t knock it till you try it. There are a lot of stereotypes out there and I understand that it’s hard to break those, but Greek life as a whole allows for cultivating friendships that will last forever, making career connections, and the opportunity to make a difference in something bigger than yourself.

What’s your dream career?

That’s a great question and one I’m still trying to figure out. I would love to work with kids in some capacity within the psychology field.  

Katie is a 21 year old Psychology major at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her legal name is Katherine, but only her mother can call her that when she's in trouble. She loves coffee, lipstick, science, leggings, and people who properly cite their sources.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!