Style

Essential Pieces Every Young Professional Should Have in Their Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the first time you are told to dress business casual, you’re kind of confused. The phrase itself seems to be an oxymoron, but in essence, it is dressing casually, but still looking professional. In most professional work environments, this means no jeans or leggings and typically includes dress pants, blazers, and other things of the like. If you have no idea how to begin shopping for a business casual wardrobe, start with essentials and then build from that. If you still don’t know where to go from there, don’t worry, I’m here to give you a list of the essential pieces you need to build your work wardrobe.

Camisoles

To be honest, these are essential to any wardrobe, but for your professional wardrobe, they are essential to layering outfits. In general, black, white, navy, and light pink are probably preferred, but if your job allows for some creative freedom, feel free to try brighter and bolder colors

Blazers

Blazers are one of the easiest ways to dress up a casual outfit. Even when they are thrown over a t-shirt, it will still be able to make the outfit look professional and put-together. Boyfriend blazers are especially trendy and don’t manage to look to old and stuffy

Flats

Flat shoes, in general, will be your new best friend, especially a pair that are comfortable. These can easily become your new go-to shoe and can make your day a little easier by just slipping them on and running out the door

Dress Pants

Dress pants are essential for a professional job, they can be dressed up or dressed down and typically aren’t too uncomfortable. These are normally preferred in black or navy, but feel free to get more adventurous with the colors you choose. I’ve seen really cute outfits with blush colored dress pants with a paper bag waist and a white mock turtleneck, that would be perfect for an office job. There are tons of ways to make this outfit your own though, such as the image above.

Black Pumps

Black pumps are another way to put your own spin on a wardrobe classic. There are so many unique black pumps that you can’t ever go wrong with any of them. They can be dressed up or dressed down, depending on how professional you must appear.

Pencil Skirts

Pencil skirts are sleek and professional and pair well with almost anything. Is there anything else that needs to be said?

Loafers

Loafers are another variation of simple flats, they come in many different variations, styles, and colors that you can never go wrong with a good quality pair of loafers. Do be warned though, these aren’t as versatile as the flats or pumps, so be careful to ensure the style of your outfit goes well with the loafers.

Trench Coats

Trench coats are the essential professional jacket. They are warm, go with almost anything, and are very on trend. They come in a variety of colors, but grey, black, and tan are most popular for business casual attire.

Button Up Shirts

Button up shirts are a staple for your new wardrobe. They (like pretty much everything else on this list) are versatile, come in various different styles, and, next to blouses, will be worn on a regular basis. Choose one that matches your style and personality and you will be set!

Shift Dresses

If you prefer dresses over pants, or simply want an easy all-in-one outfit, shift dresses are the easiest way to go. Paired with a blazer and black pumps, these outfits are easy and comfortable. They come in so many options, you can always find one (or twelve) that will fit right in with your new wardrobe.

Image credit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Maia is a senior at VCU double majoring in Print/Online Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. She loves to write about fashion and beauty and spends her free time reading, writing, and taking naps.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!