yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

DIY Fall Air Freshener

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The holidays are just around the corner and not everyone is patient enough to wait to have the smells of the holidays at home. Candles are a great way to bring the smell of fall and Thanksgiving into your dorm, but as we all know, candles are a fire hazard. 

Blow out that candle girl. 

Plug-in air fresheners are not only prohibited in dorms, but the chemicals used to make them aren’t good for those with allergies and/or asthma. 

I wanted my apartment to smell like fall so I decided to search Pinterest for some DIY ideas. Here is a great tutorial, via Natural Fit Foodie, on making natural air fresheners that not only doubles as cute décor, but is also affordable. 

Here’s what you’ll need to make the air freshener:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

1. Mason jar or the empty glass jar that once held pasta sauce (make sure to clean it well).

You can get a pack of four at Amazon

2. Baking soda.

You can get this at Walmart for about $2.24.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

3. Essential oil in the scent you would like.

Vanilla extract works well too. I would recommend buying the individual bottles of essential oil, as it is less expensive than buying a set. You can purchase them at Amazon.                                                                                                                                  

4. Breathable fabric.

This tutorial used burlap, but Natural Fit Foodie also suggested using scrapbook paper and punching in holes so the scent can escape.                                                                                                                

5. String or ribbon to tie the fabric. 

Once you have gathered your materials, fill your jar up about half way with baking soda. Add 5-10 drops of essential oil and then mix them into the baking soda. Cover the top and enjoy the freshness and comfort of fall! 

Photo courtesy of Natural Fit Foodie

Have fun collegiettes!  

Jocelin is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University where she is studying print journalism with a minor in general business. In between classes and work, she enjoys drinking coffee, watching Netflix, and working out. She hopes to one day be the editor-in-chief of a magazine and live in NYC. She is a Pinterest enthusiast and loves DIY projects.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!