Digital Tools for Going Back to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Here’s a list of apps, websites and widgets that will help you start strong and stay on track this semester!

Library Genesis

Thanks to the magic of Library Genesis, you may never have to pay for a textbook again. Sounds too good to be true, right? That’s because it’s one of the internet’s best-kept secrets. It’s hard to find using a Google search (this is the link) and not many people seem to know about it, but it can save you hundreds and even thousands of dollars in book expenditure. It’s an online database with free, complete PDF files for just about every book, textbook and scholarly article imaginable, and it has magazines and comic books too. And yes, it’s completely free—the files are free to search for, free to download and free to use however you wish. You could print and assemble all of your textbooks for free if you wanted to, or simply access them on any of your devices when you need them. Since I started using LibGen, I’ve been able to find full versions of every textbook, document and book that’s been required for my classes. 

Momentum

Momentum is an extension for Google Chrome that gives you a personalized homepage designed for maximizing productivity that replaces the standard new tab page on Chrome. The interface is simple and inviting: there’s a big digital clock in the center, an icon with the current weather and temperature in your area in one corner, your frequently visited links in another and a to-do list widget in the bottom right corner that automatically saves itself and will be there every time you open a new tab. Every day there’s a new inspirational quote at the bottom of the page, and you can opt to have a new randomly-selected background image each day or add your own photos. Beneath the clock is a personalized greeting that changes daily, and with their new “Mantras” setting, you can opt to be greeted by a simple phrase meant to build positive mental habits or even write your own. It’s the little things that matter most, and I’ve found that I feel a lot more organized and motivated when starting the day by opening Google Chrome to an uplifting message and inspiring quote alongside my running to-do list where I can see all of my upcoming deadlines in one place and check off the boxes as I go. 

IFTTT

IFTTT stands for “If This Then That.” It’s a free app available for iOS and Android that integrates actions within other apps on your device so that you feel like you have a supercomputer employed as your own personal assistant. IFTTT and its users can create programs called “applets” that you can add to your IFTTT account to enable the synchronization of functions from two separate apps. For example, there’s an applet that uses your device’s location services to log how many hours you spend at a specific place in Google Spreadsheets. This was a huge help for me when I was working an unpaid internship with no traditional time clock but was still expected to log all of the hours that I worked. You can create your own applets that are specifically designed for your life, or browse the extensive IFTTT library of applets designed for streamlining productivity and making life a breeze. For example, if you have an Amazon Alexa or Google Home device, there’s an applet that automatically adds all of your spoken to-do list items to your iPhone reminders app or Google calendar, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting to physically write something down. You can have your shopping list sent to you via text message when your location services detect that you’re at the grocery store, your smart TV automatically turned off when your phone’s location detects that you’ve left the house, and so much more. IFTTT is free to download and use, and can save you a lot of time, money and stress.

StudyBlue

StudyBlue is a virtual flashcard app. It may be a simple concept, but it could change your life if you like to use flashcards for studying. The free version is available on iOS and Android, and you can create impressive flashcards with images and text. You can also set study reminders, search for specific words and phrases within your flashcard deck and use the app offline. Say hello to a new way of studying that will reduce your carbon footprint, and say goodbye to money spent on index cards and the struggle of losing them in your house or backpack when you need them most. 

Happy back to school season, Rams! Have a great first spring semester of the decade!

Noelle is a senior at VCU pursuing a B.I.S. with a minor in Media Studies. She knows this will be of great use to her when her lifelong dream of becoming a stand-up comedian is actualized. When she's not working at the animal shelter, or busy avoiding her schoolwork by doing yoga, you can find her attempting to sleep while her cats do everything in their power to prevent it.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!