Style > Fashion

Designer Sandy Liang Is The Ultimate Girl’s Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Earlier this month Sandy Liang showed her newest ready-to-wear collection at New York Fashion Week and it did not disappoint. Her design aesthetics and unique points of view were on full display throughout her Spring/Summer collection.

Her collection was full of bows, bows and more bows with a sprinkle of flowers. The Sandy Liang girl is comfortable wearing “girly” things and leans into the coquette and ballet aesthetic. She enjoys feeling delicate while maintaining a sense of strength through her clothing. This runway fulfilled everything the Liang girl required. 

My absolute favorite pieces from the collection are the oversized bow bags and belts. They are the perfect added detail to her monochrome designs. I can picture fashion girlies in New York City wearing their silk bow bags with jeans and a white tee or a quirky thrifted outfit. This simple accessory shows that being girly can be chic. 

The looks continue outside of the Liang show at NYFW. Lola Tung from The Summer I Turned Pretty wore a gorgeous red dress with a bow over the chest and the floral choker she wore was everything. TikToker Erika Titus was also in attendance at the show and she looked like a doll with her light pink dress and hair bows. The black cap seen in the video with the pink rose on the back is what I dream of. It is a perfect recreation of the classic 90s hat. Celebrities and influencers such as Hayley Williams, Anna Sophia Robb, Reese Blustein and Ashley “@best.dressed” were also in attendance.

Sandy Liang designs with being a girl in mind. Everything she makes is an elevated take on dressing up as a kid. The way she puts pieces together reminds me of dressing up in my ballet leotard and tutu with my costume jewelry and a little purse. She draws inspiration from movies she watched growing up like Aquamarine and The Virgin Suicides. She tells the story of what it means to be a young girl and how they are navigating the world. 

In my opinion, Sandy Liang is the ultimate girl’s girl. She creates an environment where girls can be themselves and celebrate each other. She is the designer of the future in an era where women’s voices are more important than ever. We have seen a rise in female representation in the media through things like the Barbie movie which placed a spotlight on how important women are to the economy and culture. Sandy Liang has shown that there is power and influence in being a woman who enjoys the girly things in life.

Watch out for Sandy Liang as she continues to change the face of fashion and challenge the industry for good.

Sadie Kinzer is a junior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. She loves reading and thrifting and spends time finding the best thrift stores around. She is interested in fashion and pop culture.