This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Calling all fans of horror and creepy things in general! Do you like listening to and watching scary movies and crime shows as much as I do? If so, you need to check out these podcasts I’ve listed below. I recently discovered I enjoy listening to horror podcasts even more than I enjoy watching horror films, and believe me, that’s a lot. Podcasts are just so convenient because you can listen to them anywhere, at almost any time of the day. This way I’m able to get my horror fix whenever I need it. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the podcasts.

“Alice Isn’t Dead”

You may already know about this one since it’s becoming so popular, but if you have not listened to it yet, what are you waiting for? “Alice Isn’t Dead” is a sci-fi thriller written by Joseph Fink, published by Night Vale Presents, and produced by Disparition. Jasika Nicole who is known for her role as Astrid Farnsworth in “Fringe,” voices the role of Keisha, who is the main character in “Alice Isn’t Dead.” Keisha is a female truck driver who lost her wife, Alice, years ago. You see, Alice quite literally disappeared out of thin air. After years of searching, her friends and family decided to give up and assume she was dead. After seeing Alice in the background of a news program, Keisha went against everyone else’s beliefs about her wife and traveled across the country in her work truck, looking for any sign of Alice. Along the way, she meets the government created alien serial killers.

“Welcome to Night Vale”

“Welcome to Night Vale” is written by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor. Can you tell I really like this author? “Welcome to Night Vale” was written before Alice Isn’t Dead and is a mystery/horror story that’s impossible to understand. You seriously will never be able to explain what you hear on this podcast. In a humorous and creepy fashion, Cecil Gershwin Palmer (played by Cecil Baldwin), narrates and reports as a newscaster on the strange town of Night Vale, a town full of odd and unexplainable events. Cecil updates listeners on the odd happenings in Night Vale, such as the mysterious Glow Cloud hovering above a town, the dragon awaiting trial, and dark hooded figures walking around town. Also, the dog park that does not allow dogs at any time of day, Khoshekh, the hovering cat in the bathroom and John Peters, a farmer who grows imaginary corn. Cecil walks us through the day with minor interruptions from Carlos the Scientist, correcting him if he ever reads, writes or thinks a non-scientific statement is correct. During the weather break, a different song is featured every episode and no one ever mentions the weather. Welcome to Night Vale will keep listeners on their toes and make them laugh. So, if you want to listen to something bizarre that you’ll never fully understand, “Welcome to Night Vale” is your pick.

“Crime Junkie”

On a more serious and less abstract note, “Crime Junkie” is where I get my true crime fix. The hosts of “Crime Junkie,” Ashley Flowers and Brit Prawat, post a new crime podcast every Monday. Their stories cover cases that are underreported and sometimes unknown. They tell us the facts and only the facts from beginning to the end of the story and report on murders, missing persons’ cases and even do follow up episodes on unsolved cases. Listeners are always welcome to pitch true crime cases on their website, http://crimejunkiepodcast.com/ and you can nominate your own pruppet- aka your favorite canine crime-fighting sidekick!

“Lore”

“Lore” is a semi-fictional podcast written by Aaron Mahnke. I say semi-fictional because Mahnke describes historical events that are unexplainable by the human mind. Mahnke dives deep into the darkest depths of history, telling stories of creatures and places of our worst dreams. Each episode is titled with one word only and the historical events are based on that one word. For example, “Debris” tells tales of real monsters from the deep ocean. This is a great podcast to listen to around a campfire with friends or if you’re a history fanatic with a taste for creepy events.

Those four podcasts are my current favorites. They make me laugh, give me chills and keep me up at night sometimes. So, if you’re weird like me and into that kind of thing, please check these podcasts out. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Maya Orenic is a Mass Communications major at VCU. Her hobbies include going on spontaneous adventures, listening to crime podcasts, exploring different types of wine, and daydreaming about the universe.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!