This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

You’re probably reading this at home, aren’t you? I’m writing this article at home myself. As someone who relies on lots of engagement with others to stay connected, I have done my best to stay in touch with family and friends throughout the pandemic. Social interaction is what we all need in some type of fashion, whether that be in small or large doses. 

As quarantine has impacted a majority of the population’s social life, it has become more apparent to me the gravity of having connections with the people you adore. I will admit, however, that my social life has fluctuated to become one of isolation throughout the pandemic. If I am being completely honest, some of my relationships hardly exist anymore. 

I felt overwhelmed and pressured to reach out in many circumstances, or that I had to put in effort to not receive any aspect of effort back. This was a challenging concept for me to grasp onto, but I will say that I have learned a lot just by keeping in touch with relatives and a couple of friends. I have been able to pinpoint a couple of things that have helped me throughout this time. I hope these will be of help to you, too!

Allow Yourself to Grieve

If there are people or aspects of your life that you are missing socially, it is alright to let your pain out. This can be in any form that benefits you most. I know a lot of people have felt similarly in their relationships of any kind—it can be helpful to get these emotions out.

Whether it be losing interaction in general, or losing relationships and/or friendships during the pandemic, do not be afraid to express your emotions freely. It can feel like you have lost friends entirely due to the lack of in-person interaction. Allow yourself to process and deal with what is going on around you. 

Try to Keep in Touch Where You Can

Whenever I feel down, I know that I can call my close friends or that my dad can make me laugh. Call loved ones that you trust! I keep my bubble very small. I do not go out very often but for the occasional meal, trip to the store or to see family. As for friends, however, it is especially hard to not see them all of the time.

I like to use Discord, Zoom, Backyard (my newest discovery) and Netflix Party (or just syncing up videos old-fashioned). While the time spent with others may not be face-to-face, it will give you some sort of connection that will temporarily do. 

Start Journaling 

Last March, I began to journal on a more regular basis. This allowed me to be more in tune with my thoughts and to let the validity of them be known to me. I began to keep my journal wide open on my desk to look back at my positive affirmations. Two that have helped me, especially while having little connection, are “I let go of all that no longer serves me” and “I can let go of other people’s opinions of me.”

This may seem small, but it all starts with intention and mindset. Letting go and giving time to yourself is crucial. Finding positive affirmations that stick out to you and keeping track of them can become beneficial if you let them. Keeping my journal open on my desk allows me to reference it throughout the day, giving me a better overall mind space. 

If you are anything like me, coping with little connection is absolutely a challenge. It is hard to know that stepping into a room will not be the same as it used to be. We are closed off into our small boxes, prohibited to step outside of them. Self-development throughout this time is important, too. 

Do not stray away from becoming a better version of yourself. Being around others during the pandemic can feel strange since we have not seen ‘normal’ in awhile. As each day continues, I strive to rekindle the connections that have drastically shifted during the pandemic. I would encourage all of you to do the same when necessary, but to also find peace within yourself. 

Milo is a recent graduate from the school of Mass Communications and Theatre here at Virginia Commonwealth University. They are a filmmaker and creative who strives to create honest and meaningful work in order to tell stories for voices that usually go unheard. Milo’s most recent film, Her Birthday Balloons, was awarded an original score from the Seattle Film Institute’s Film Scoring Program. You can find Milo sipping on a latte in his free time, performing onstage, or making playlists for the people he admires.
VCU Contributor Account