Career

A Conversation With Dr. Christina Greer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

On Tuesday, Feb. 5, I had the pleasure of having a conversation with Dr. Christina Greer. Dr. Greer is a current professor at Fordham University, a contributor on MSNBC, and a contributor to a variety of written media platforms. In addition to media and freelance writing, Greer is the author of a best-selling novel and was the first featured speaker for this year’s Black History Month speaker series, organized by the Political Science department.

I was chosen along with three other students to have coffee and conversation with Dr. Greer. In a casual coffee shop setting, we had a round table discussion. Greer discussed with us her upbringing and how it has shaped her political mindset today. She was born in New York but has had experiences in various states. She discussed how Illinois really shaped her. She lived in a small, rural and red area of Illinois. Explaining to us that it was this experience that shaped her political views ultimately. When Greer spoke on this shaping, it was interesting and thought-provoking. Many people I talk to or even share my political science major classes with do not have a true explanation or shaping of why their views are the way they are. In addition to Greer living in Illinois, she expressed how since the setting was not for her, she spent many weekends traveling, visiting family members she had at Harvard University and living in Baltimore, Maryland.

“My mom was always cool with it, she would say ‘oh, you want to experience the majority white kids at Harvard…Go for it! You want to hang out with the black kids in Baltimore…Go for it!’ It was this diversity that shaped the type of mind I have today.”

In addition to Greer’s upbringing, we also discussed her involvement with MSNBC. Growing up and still today, I have such a dream to be on national news panels such as the ones she is featured on. When asking how she got involved, she went through a personal timeline saying how news coverage and writing seem to go hand and hand. The more she wrote, the more she would get offered these opportunities or when upon speaking on radio or local channels, she would get asked to write pieces. She got her start with radio and does consistent work with New York 1, a local New York station. When being asked to be on MSNBC she noted how different it was.

“New York 1 is a legitimate New York station. The accents are thick, the look is laid back and MSNBC is the real deal. I had to get my hair and makeup done and I didn’t know what to do!”

She got real and described her experiences and how she loves how she now understands how it works. Having a Ph.D. and being the author of many books, Dr. Greer is very knowledgeable in her field. She discussed how MSNBC is awesome and that she does not get paid for it, so when she does it – its all out of her pure interest. Though, she said now that she knows the ropes she’s glad she has that power. She talked with us on how she does not want to be cocky but knowing her stuff and having accreditation, she now knows who she can and cannot serve on panels with. Greer has felt that sometimes people who do not have degrees in things they discuss, get boosted being featured on panels with those that do and she doesn’t like that.

In addition to major conversations, Greer also discussed the state of Virginia politics and we got to go in depth on how we feel and what we think should happen. It was a very real, authentic conversation and I wouldn’t have traded this experience for the world! Check out some of Greer’s work here and read all about her and the work she continuously does.

Image from VCU Political Science Department 

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!