A College Student’s Guide to Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With spring fast upon us, here are your seven tips to a stress-free spring cleaning process!

Do a Load of Laundry

Start off your spring cleaning with a load (or in my case, three loads) of laundry. A pile of dirty laundry is an eyesore, so toss them in your wash while you move onto your next task. Don’t forget to throw in your bedsheets and towels too!

Tidy Up Your Room

Besides your dirty laundry, your bedroom should be your next priority. As a college student, your room is where you sleep, study and sometimes, eat. Therefore, an organized room will make you feel less overwhelmed and more accomplished. There’s nothing quite like waking up or coming home to a clean room so take those extra minutes to put everything back to where it belongs. 

Closet Cleanout

As we move into spring, let’s make sure our wardrobe transitions with the warmer weather. While cleaning out your closet can be an overwhelming process, it can be simplified through these series of steps. Start by putting away all those winter coats and cozy sweaters. Then, move onto getting rid of clothes that you no longer wear.

Whether it is outdated or ill-fitted, we all have those items sitting in our closet that don’t get any love. So, take it to a thrift store and make a few bucks. Whatever you don’t sell, you can donate. Finally, unpack all your spring essentials into the closet. You can even take it a step further and create an organizational system such as color-coding or Marie Kondo folding.

Wipe Down Everything

From windows to surfaces to mirrors, let’s wipe down everything. This way, you can tackle any pesky stains and fingerprints. Don’t forget to switch to the appropriate product depending on what you’re cleaning. Windex for windows and so on!

Kitchen and Fridge

You can’t forget about the kitchen and most importantly, the fridge. In addition to wiping down all kitchen surfaces, you have to tackle those dirty dishes. If you’re anything like me, it’s not about the dirty dishes but rather the clean dishes sitting in the dishwasher for the past week. After cleaning, put everything away in its respective spots. Perhaps the most daunting part about cleaning your kitchen is cleaning out your fridge. You can start by throwing out any old or expired items. Then, proceed to take out all the food and wipe down the insides before putting everything back to where it belongs. I like to organize my fridge by allocating specific spaces or shelves to specific food categories such as fresh produce, meats, and non-perishables. 

Update That Resume

Now, this is an unexpected checklist item. Springtime is the ideal time to update your resume because as a college student, you will probably be scouring for summer internships during this time. If you are a senior, you will soon be entering the job market, so let’s get that resume polished. Most universities will also have a writing center or career services for you to go to for help with your resumes and cover letter.

Spruce Up Your Space

Add finishing touches to your space by changing out your duvet and throw in some spring decorations!

Happy cleaning!

Kathy Nguyen is a Senior at VCU. She is double majoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Political Science with concentration in International Relations. Her passion includes advocating for women's reproductive rights and gun reforms. In addition to her political activism, she is a coffee snob and a Harry Potter fanatic.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!