This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The entertainment industry can be hard to navigate for anybody, but especially women… specifically, Black women. Recently many Black female artists have been reaching the top of the charts, getting Grammy nominations and unapologetically supporting each other. Here are some Black women artists you should root for.

Flo Milli

Flo Milli entered the music scene with her well-known tracks “In The Party” and “Beef FloMix” going viral on TikTok. She’s now looking to be a part of one of the biggest annual music festivals: Coachella. Flo Milli is known for spreading support for other Black, female artists and has toured and featured up-and-coming artists such as MonaLeo and Miayah Tha Don. 

ICE SPICE

Ice Spice has recently popped up on the music scene with an entirely different style of music than most — drill rap. It’s popular in New York City but usually within the male rap community. It has now been popularized everywhere due to Ice Spice’s influence. While female rappers do exist, Ice Spice brings a different cadence to her music that has spread to millions of people around the world, including the people of the U.K. who are streaming “Boys a Liar Pt. 2” by PinkPantheress ft. Ice Spice.  

RICO NASTY

Rico Nasty has been in the music business for some time now but is just recently getting the recognition she deserves. While rocking her emo-core, Rico Nasty has gone from being an opening act for well-known rappers like Playboi Carti to headlining her own tour, which sold out in under two minutes. Rico Nasty also has gone out of her music shell to dabble in modeling, single-handedly breaking barriers for “emo” Black women.

MEGAN THEE STALLION

Megan Thee Stallion has also been in the music business for a while, getting recognition for many of her songs. But, she’s been embarrassed and ridiculed by well-known male rappers such as Drake and 21 Savage. While dealing with negative feedback, Megan Thee Stallion has always kept it classy. She is now taking a hiatus from social media platforms but she should still be supported even though she isn’t interacting as much. 

All of these women have a different vibe to their music and are equally being themselves. Breaking barriers, boundaries and stereotypes that are linked to Black women is something they do every day — while equally slaying performances, music videos and photoshoots. 

Chloe Hawkins currently attends VCU pursuing a major in Mass Communications with a focus in digital journalism and a minor in history. She has many interests including politics, the environment, and education. Her main goal while writing for HERCampus is to connect with more people in the Richmond area.