Style

The Best Richmond Thrifts to Scavenge for a Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

There are a plethora of good thrifting spots in Richmond, VA. But the four that I am writing about are specifically good spots for Halloween costumes galore. It is always hard for me to pick out a Halloween costume. But over the past few months, I have been thrifting and getting a lot of inspiration. I’m going to share a few of my favorite spots around the city. 

Diversity Thrift RVA

Diversity Thrift RVA is a wonderful place for just looking around but also great for when you need something rather specific. This is rare for a thrift store. You usually never know what treasures you might stumble upon. Diversity has such a dynamic store, but you could easily go to a section and find something you are looking for. They have many costumes on display that they have created by putting some of the donated clothes together and accessorizing.

They also have a large room full of fabrics for those who prefer to DIY their Halloween identities. When you make your way to the checkout area, make sure you look at the old jewelry, broaches and bundles of necklaces! An afternoon or even a mere 30 minutes in this store will allow for a treasure to be found. 

Scrap RVA

Scrap RVA is a thrift for the artists and creative types. There are tons of art and craft supplies to look through. Maybe you need to make the accessories needed for a costume; this is the place to go look through bunches of beads, string and fabric.

You can get a lot for your money spent. Scraps of fabric are three dollars each, no matter how big they are. When compared to a chain fabric store like Jo-Ann, that is a steal. If you like to make your Halloween costume a craft, then this is the place to get a lot of supplies! 

Fantastic Thrift 

Fantastic thrift is another good store that can offer some cheap ideas for a DIY Halloween costume. It is a large warehouse that has racks and racks of nice stuff. There is even a little area that offers some old vintage patterns if any of you are looking into sewing your costume.

A lot of little knick-knacks are in the back, as well as some Halloween decorations that you could use to spook up your place this weekend! Fantastic also has a bunch of fabric to choose from, but scrap is probably going to be your cheapest option. 

The Clothes Rack 

The Clothes Rack is a rather classy thrift in Richmond. If you are looking for a costume with class, this is the place that you will find the necessary pieces. There are always blazers and suits to die for. The prices are a little bit higher but you still get what you pay for. There are heels, dresses and bags that will definitely turn you into the character that you are looking for. The men’s wear section is small but worth checking out as well. 

All of these stores will not only save your wallet but also create less waste and save the world. After thrifting for many years, it is so hard for me to spend more than five dollars on a shirt. Take some time to check these spots out if you are needing a costume for Halloween or even if you have some free time and wanna look around.  

Ray Wondracek is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University majoring in Fashion Design. They have been passionate about fashion from a very early age. You can probably always find them in a thrift store, binging "New Girl", or sewing.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!