This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Q: Where do I go to apply for internships? Should I see my academic advisor? Should I go to career service?

First, depending on which department you are in, make sure you are signed up to receive emails from your advisor, or someone within your major field, because most of the time they send out internship opportunities to students via email. Secondly, HireVCURams is a very good resource for VCU students. It allows you to filter which type of job you are looking for, whether it be a part-time job, internship or full time. Once signed in, make sure you have all of your documents updated, including resume, cover letter and any references. Lastly, another good resource is internships.com. This website allows you to filter locations, employer type and compensation when looking for your ideal internship. 

Q: I plan on going into the teaching field and I have struggled recently on how to dress professionally because I’m not a very feminine person (I’m also plus size). But I’ve had people express that I need to make my outfits more “feminine” otherwise they don’t appear professional. Is this true? Do you think employers will be less inclined to hire me if I do not look typically feminine?

I don’t think employers will be less inclined to hire you if you do not look feminine; however, I do think employers will be less inclined to hire you if you do not dress professionally. Typically, men should dress in a full suit and tie when asked for an interview. Women typically wear the equivalence of that, meaning either a women’s suit, professional slacks with a blazer or a dress. Looking professional in an interview is essential because employers like to see that you have dressed for the part. 

Hello! My name is Noura Bayoumi and I am a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. I am studying print journalism with a minor in English. In my free time, I like to explore the city, spend time with my friends and family, and go outdoors.