An Open Letter To My Best Friend (Who Is Studying Abroad)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear voyager,

It’s only been a little over a month since you embarked on this amazing chapter of your life. Days are longer now that you are 5,000 miles away, and it’s almost as if moments lack the luster they once held without you here to partake in them. Barring all of my emotions, I could not be prouder of you. You are truly enjoying your youth and you worked so hard to get yourself to this point. 

We’ve had so many amazing experiences together in our college years so far, but this one is yours. As hard as it’s been not spending everyday with you, singing poorly in the car, spending too much money at the thrift store or encouraging each other’s bad decisions, you will return to your normal life in a few short months. And I will be here impatiently waiting for your homecoming. It’s very apparent how much love you have for someone when it feels like you’ve literally lost a part of yourself when they are gone. You are my person forever, these few months without you will merely be a blip in our entire friendship. 

But what will be remembered forever are the memories you make on this trip. You have already experienced so much in your short time there. You have traveled to so many places, met so many amazing people, you’re doing it all. A jump like this does not come without its faults, I understand it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. You left all the people you know and love, and the places in which you feel at ease, it’s scary. But we don’t grow and gain experience without taking risks or doing things that make us scared. If something is not making you feel a little uneasy, you’re not pursuing the right thing. 

Now I know you don’t enjoy feeling scared and out of your comfort zone all the time. If anything, that is your least favorite feeling. But you took all the anxiety you had pent up, and you have written yourself such a beautiful story whilst being on this trip. Everyone at home is here anxiously awaiting your return. Keep living spontaneously, we will never be this young again, we will never be this version of ourselves again. Might as well give this version of you the coolest memories. 

So keep soaking up all the Italian sun, street kittens, gelato, shopping, breathtaking views and gorgeous weather you can. Even on your bad days (which we are all bound to have), open your window, look at the ocean and remember where you are, and how all the people who love you are rooting for you. The memories you are making will one day be something we marvel over as old wrinkly grannies, and I cannot wait. 

You know how much I love you, you are my best friend, my home, my true blue girl forever. There are no amount of words or hugs or adoration that could fully explain how much you mean to me, and how proud I am of you. I’m just a phone call and a few thousand miles away. 

Keep on living. You’re doing a great job at it. 

Sincerely, 

Your impatient best friend who cannot wait to see you again.

Summer Deciucis is a Journalism and Fashion Merchandising student at Virginia Commonwealth University, and an HCVCU editorial member. She has interests in pop culture, current social issues, fashion, and true crime.