camera event live settings 66134?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
camera event live settings 66134?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM
Culture > News

A New Studio Is Opening In RVA And You Have To Check It Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Calling all creatives! The search for a safe space to explore your artistic passions is over for those in the RVA community.

Two entrepreneurs, Emma Manis, a VCU alumna, stylist, creative director and founder of apparel brand EVOLVE and Jahara Jennaé, a pro hair and makeup artist and interior designer, have created a distinctive concept: Called to Create Studios. This new venture is a content studio and creative social club in the heart of downtown Richmond. 

Their combined 20 years of experience and dedication to the fashion and beauty industries will all be worth it when Called to Create Studios launches on Saturday, March 4. Called to Create Studios aims to provide a comfortable workspace for local artists to produce unique content with like-minded creatives, in addition to providing opportunities for them to push the boundaries of their talent. The studio is every artist’s dream, with many resources available to users, such as a variety of props, backdrops, a large wardrobe and the capacity to design sets for billboard campaigns and sculptural installations for commercials. 

Co-founder Emma Manis shared her excitement about the studio in a statement.

“After years of developing this lifelong dream, I could not be more excited to open up a space that is designed by creatives, for creatives,” Manis stated. “Jahara and I have worked tirelessly to give artists in this city a safe space to dream as big as they can and create a collective community that is all about empowerment and accessibility to growth in this industry.” 

According to their website, they want to improve on the lack of educational opportunities available within the production industry to allow artists to flourish. To help promote this change, the Called to Create Studios team will provide a more hands-on and community-oriented setting. The studio will offer creative workshops for artists to enhance their skills.

With two founders that possess unique skill sets of their own, artists looking to sign up for Called to Create Studios workshops are bound to tap into potential they didn’t know they had. Along with participating in various workshops, artists can harness their talent independently as well.

The company offers five different memberships for varying budgets and skill sets that allow creatives to work as a team or produce solo content. To learn more about their memberships and offerings, visit the Called to Create Studios website.

Claudia Stewart is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in art history. She enjoys watching rom-coms, baking double chocolate chip cookies with her roommate, and finding the best spot for sushi in her free time. Stewart loves writing about pop culture, fashion, and beauty.