A Broke College Kid’s Guide To Gift Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Every time the Christmas season comes around I stress about what to buy for my friends that won’t break the bank. Over the years I have developed a list of easy, affordable gifts that all your friends will love. Most of these items are below $30.

A plant

My number one go-to affordable gift is a cute plant. You can pick up a plant for $15 or less at Home Depot, Trader Joes or a local plant nursery. If you have extra money left in your budget you can put the plant in a cute pot to save them the trouble or get them cute gardening tools. You can find cute pots for plants from Amazon, Urban Outfitters, Ikea or Etsy. Pair this with a cute note and your gift for your plant loving friend is all set.

Check one out here.

Blind Box Items

If your friend likes collectibles or little tchotchkes, a blind box item is the perfect gift for them. I love Sonny Angels or Calico Critter blind boxes. They are less than $15 and you could even get them one of each. This will be a fun surprise item for both of you and it is affordable. 

Jellycat

Jellycat stuffed animals are slightly more expensive than most of the things on this list but they are worth it. You can find the perfect Jellycat for your friend for $18-$30 and they are available on the Jellycat website and on Amazon. If you have a big group of friends you can host a secret santa gift exchange for Jellycats. My friend group got the idea to do this from TikTok, and it is the perfect way to make sure the whole friend group gets a cute gift and you only have to get one person a gift. 

Check out the TikTok inspo here.

Books

For my friend’s birthday gift I got her some books from her to be read list. I went on her GoodReads and picked two books that I have read before and knew were good and got them at Target. This is the perfect gift for any of your book lover friends and will save them money if they buy lots of books. You can also get them a cute bookmark to use off of Etsy or give them a cute postcard from a place you both love or somewhere you’ve traveled. Write a cute note on the back of the postcard that will bring them joy every time they open their book. Finish the gift off by wrapping a cute ribbon around the books and you have the perfect gift for any reader in your life.

Thrift bundle

If you are good at thrifting the perfect gift for your friends is a small thrift bundle. Ask your friend what sizes they wear and head to your local thrift store to find them the perfect gift pieces for their wardrobe. You can try to create an outfit or just find pieces you think they will wear. I have also thrifted home decor for my friends’ gifts and it is always a hit. Head to your local thrift store to save money and find the perfect unique gift for your friend.

Framed picture

If your friend has pictures all over their room then a framed picture is the perfect gift for them. Find a cute frame at your local thrift store or on Etsy or Urban Outfitters and print out your favorite picture together. If you have a polaroid or cute film photo, print it out and decorate the frame to match the vibe. 

Baggu bags

I personally will recommend my reusable bags from Baggu because they are super convenient and are super cute patterns. You can find a cute standard Baggu on their website for $14 that will match their style. This is the perfect gift for a friend who likes sustainability or is environmentally friendly.

Unique Jewelry

One of my favorite gifts for people are unique jewelry pieces. I like to find one of a kind items for my friends at thrift stores that will be the perfect statement piece in their jewelry collection. Try to find a fun necklace that you think matches their style and that they will wear often. You can also give them earrings or a cute ring if you can find one. 

Sadie Kinzer is a junior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. She loves reading and thrifting and spends time finding the best thrift stores around. She is interested in fashion and pop culture.