david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Worst Things You Found in Your Trick-or-Treat Basket as a Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Every Oct. 31 children dress up in all sorts of costumes and celebrate Halloween by going trick-or-treating. This is normally a very happy time for children, however, some people have felt the need to ruin these children’s happy spirits by giving them less than worthwhile treats, or just plain old tricks.

1. Candy Corn

Although it is a Halloween staple candy, candy corn is known for its waxy texture and all around bad taste. Loose candy corn is also the worst because who knows what kind of things are all over those pieces of candy.

2. Dental Floss

Traditionally, Halloween involves candy being handed out to all the children shouting trick or treat as you open the door. However, this item is just a plain old trick.

3. Apples

Now every child who has ever gone trick-or-treating knows they’re supposed to be handed candy, but when an apple is sent their way, it’s the first thing to go in the trash once they are home. After people started sticking razor blades in apples, these treats have made parents think twice about anything unwrapped.

4. Pencils and Erasers

This is just plain cruel to do to children. Halloween is the only time of year that children are truly allowed to eat as much candy as they want and this ruins all the fun.

5. Gummy body parts

These gummy candies are honestly slightly horrific. Why would you want to eat a bloody finger or toe when you could be eating a chocolate bar or sucking on a lollipop?

6. Jawbreakers

Just as the name may indicate it can not only hurt children’s jaws, but they can also be a choking hazard to small children once the candies have been sucked on long enough. Jawbreakers decrease in size the longer you suck on it meaning as it gets smaller it is more likely to end up slipping into their throats.

7. Black Licorice

Black licorice tends to be very unappealing to children due to its medicinal taste and all around nasty presence. Plus, what child will want to eat a candy that tastes like medicine?

8. Generic Hard Candy

Between the hard caramels and the mints, I do not know what is the worst part of these very sweet candies handed out mostly by the elderly neighbor down the street.

With Halloween right around the corner, make sure all your treats are good ones. Don’t be the house that all the neighborhood kids avoid, be the house that all the kids come running for!

(Source 2 4 5 6 9)

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!