Local Farms Food
Local Farms Food
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

6 Ways to Practice Sustainable Living on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Every day, we make seemingly insignificant lifestyle choices in favor of our immediate convenience. However, those choices are being made on a global level which inadvertently has a serious impact on our environment. With global warming and environmental degradation upon us, let us all begin taking steps toward change. Here are 6 ways we can show love to our earth!

Unsubscribe From Mailing Lists

Whether it be credit card companies, clothing stores or make-up sites, we all get those pesky advertisements in our mailbox. If you’re anything like me, you take less than 10 seconds flipping through that magazine or leaflet before throwing it in the recycling bin. And while recycling is good, we can eliminate that step by unsubscribing to these mailing lists. Sites like www.catalogchoice.org offer free service to opt-out of catalogs, coupons, credit card offers, phone books, circulars and more. It helps you to reduce clutter, protect your privacy and save the environment. 

Hold Businesses Accountable

It would be reckless to place all the blame of climate change on the everyday person. The unfortunate reality is that the world’s 3,000 largest companies are causing $2.2 trillion worth of environmental damage every year, according to an unpublished UN report seen by the Guardian. Therefore, as consumers, we must start challenging the ethics of the companies we buy from and start holding them accountable because contrary to popular beliefs, companies actually do listen to their consumer base. For example, Adidas started researching ways to tackle the problem of plastic waste by using recycled materials in their shoes. By 2024, they aim to make their shoes from 100% recycled materials. 

Reuse Everything 

It might be convenient to use that plastic bag at the grocery store, grab that plastic straw at the coffee shop or buy that plastic water bottle at the vending machine. Instead, plan ahead! Store reusable fabric bags in your car for your unplanned grocery trips. Carry a metal straw in your bag for your coffee runs. And buy a cute and reusable water bottle to keep on you at all times. Sustainable living is both a choice and a necessity but it won’t always be convenient unless you make it so. 

Watch Your Utility Bills 

Sustainable living can start with turning off the light switch when you leave the room. Conserving energy and minimize waste will not only help the environment but save you money in the process. Use your utility bills to track your conservation efforts. Little choices like unplugging your appliances while not in use or closing your windows when heat or air conditioning is on, make an impact in the long run and will also save you some money. 

Walk, Bike, Carpool or Use Public Transportation

This is an obvious one, but it needs to be said, nonetheless. Instead of driving, look for sustainable means of transportation. Walking, biking, carpooling or using public transportation will all help to reduce your carbon emissions. And oftentimes, these methods are far cheaper than driving!

Practice Minimalism

Switching to a minimalist lifestyle might seem like a radical change. However, it is a valuable adjustment for the environment and your wallet. Minimalism doesn’t mean you have to get rid of everything you own. It means maximizing the use of everything you already have and anything you might acquire. It forces you to re-evaluate your spending habits and become more mindful of the impact your decisions have on the environment. Practicing minimalism doesn’t have to be an overnight lifestyle change. It can be as simple as reconsidering your next purchase and asking yourself if you truly need it.

Sustainable living doesn’t have to be hard if we all start with minor adjustments. Best of luck!

Kathy Nguyen is a Senior at VCU. She is double majoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Political Science with concentration in International Relations. Her passion includes advocating for women's reproductive rights and gun reforms. In addition to her political activism, she is a coffee snob and a Harry Potter fanatic.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!