6 Reasons You Should Call Your Parents More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Ah, those beautiful, wonderful people who have raised you from the babbling, drooling infant you once were to the smart, independent college student you are now. Although no one has a perfect relationship with their parents, if they truly have impacted your life for the better, it is only courtesy that you call them every now and again. At the very least, they miss you like crazy!

1. They are a big reason why you’ve made it this far.

Your brains, ambition and personality are also certainly to thank, but a person’s parents are ultimately among the biggest reasons why someone can attend college. Even if they cannot financially support a student’s college tuition, parents are wonderful because they can offer advice, encouragement and fond memories to look back on when times get tough. And, since they’ve been looking out for you all your life, it’s always nice to call them up as if to say, “Hey parents, thanks for getting me to this point in my life.”

2. They have sacrificed time for you.

Although most college students have not yet experienced parenthood, there is no doubt that having and raising a child is a ton of work. Just think — since you were born, your parents probably spent nearly every waking moment focused on you and your well-being. Even when they had time to themselves, their precious freedom was at least somewhat concentrated on you, as your safety and well-being were most likely in the back of their minds the whole time. Of course, it’s a testament to how much they care for you, but for a lot of college students, it’s hard to imagine dedicating your life to another person. Although your parents had physical free time away from you, mentally and emotionally, they were still very much present in terms of your care. It’s only appropriate, then, for you to take some time away from your school work or social life to check on them.

3. You may not realize it just yet, but having and caring for a child is an insane amount of work.

At the bare minimum, it’s costly. Your parents had to buy diapers, food, toys, medicine, clothes and much, much more. Additionally, when you’ve got a small, emotional, crying and pooping machine on your hands, it’s difficult to imagine parents having much peace the first few years of a baby’s life. Then, as a child gets older, parents have to think about sending them to school, taking kids to and from any extracurricular activities, teaching them skills, etc. Even just ensuring that a child is happy is a lifetime of work. So, since they’ve essentially dedicated their existence to you, it’s nice to show a bit of gratitude by calling them on the phone every now and again.

4. They’re not getting any younger.

No one likes to think about it, but even the longest of lives are fleeting. Sometime in the future, there will be a time when you will no longer have the opportunity to talk with your parents, so do it while you can. You don’t have to get sappy with them, either. Just listen to their voice, interact with them, joke with them. Cherish every word they speak so that you will not have any regrets later in life. Let them know you care enough to chat with them for a few minutes.

5. They worry about how you’re doing.

It’s a no-brainer. Especially if your college is far from home, parents constantly worry about if you get back to your dorm/apartment safely, if you’re eating, how your grades are holding up, your mental health, your physical health — the list goes on. If nothing else, give them a call every now and again to ease their fears. You will do them a world of good!

6. They love you!

And they really just want to talk to you. Let them know that you love them, too! It will most definitely put a smile on their faces.

Gifs: 1, 2, 3

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!