6 Halloween Costume Ideas I Better See This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

October is finally here, which means that spooky season is upon us again! Arguably one of the best times of the year, be prepared to see a lot of unique costumes this year. Accompanied by the usual ghosts, witches, skeletons, vampires and zombies, 2023 is a year full of pop-cultural creations and diverse trends. 2023 brought us the Barbienheimer era, the emergence of the Coquette aesthetic, Utopia and All The Dogs album releases, and much, much more. So, this year for Halloween, here are just a few solo and duo costume ideas I better see this year. 

Barbie 

This costume will most likely be the most popular one this season, especially with the release of the Barbie movie in July. Even though some people may call this costume basic, I think that it’s one of the most versatile ones. Since every girl is different, we will be seeing many different types of Barbies this year, such as President Barbie, Stereotypical Barbie, Fitness Barbie and Mermaid Barbie. The amount of Barbies this Halloween is truly limitless, and can be done so effortlessly!

Lana Del Ray and The Weeknd

The classic Stargirl and Starboy: Lana Del Ray and the Weeknd! This duo costume is a  year-round staple but would look amazing in 2023, especially because of the “Please, I’m a star!” trend. Also, it’s a really unique costume idea that very few people would wear this year, so you’ll definitely be the stargirl of the night!

Ice Spice

She a baddie she know she a 10! This costume is really simple and would look great this Halloween. All you would really need is an Ice Spice wig, a crop top, shorts, and fishnets. This would be amazing this year because of her hit song Munch (Feelin’ U). It also works for anyone under a budget while having a recognizable costume!

Aurora and Maleficent (Coquette edition)

With the popularity of the Coquette aesthetic, this duo costume would look so cute and adorable. There are so many ways to do Aurora and Maleficent. Some people opt for the dress option while others go for the corset and mini skirt option. Whichever way you choose, the Coquette aesthetic makes this costume perfect and adds an elegant touch to the concept. 

Even if you didn’t want to be Aurora and Maleficent, another cute alternative is The Princess and the Pauper Barbie movie (where one person is the Princess and the other is the Pauper). The outfits for this costume would be so classy and serve major Coquette vibes! Whichever option you choose though, each alternative is super classy and unique, whichever way you decide to style them.

Siren/Mermaid (Little Mermaid Release)

With the release of The Little Mermaid movie, this costume would be so perfect to keep up with the current trends and also would look super cool (this is what I’m going to be this year)! A couple things you could use to incorporate into your costume could be shell hair clips, satin skirts, fishnet tops, kitten heels, and lots of seashell jewelry. There are so many ways to style this costume, but every way that I’ve seen has been so unique and very pretty. 

Waffle House Lana Del Ray

If you’ve been on tiktok recently, you would’ve seen that Lana Del Ray (the stargirl herself) was seen picking up a shift at a Waffle House in Alabama and even singing to a customer! This costume is perfect, and all you would really need is a Waffle House waitress costume! Also, you would really stand out because not many people would think of this shift becoming an iconic moment and costume. 

The 2023 Halloween season is upon us, and while this list only includes 6 options, there are still so many options that one could be this year. I’m so excited to see what everyone wears on the 31st, and I hope that this list helps you decide your costume for spooky season this year! 

Amanda Vallieres is a class of 2027 VCU student. She is currently majoring in Psychology. Her interests are writing, fashion, reading, and painting. Also, her favorite subject to write about for hercampus is pop culture. She enjoys reading about any subject, but her favorite one to read about is science fiction. At VCU, she’s also apart of other clubs such as FACT (Filipino Americans Coming Together), VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), KAPWA, and Vintage Threads.