5 Spring Break Destinations You’ll Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s almost here. For many of us college students, the countdown to Spring Break has already started. You can start to feel its closeness – the warmth of the sun hanging around a little longer than it did a few weeks ago, the leaves starting to turn green again, and the days on your calendar being marked off one at a time as you inch closer and closer to March.

Ah, Spring Break. To some students it’s a chance to party like there’s no tomorrow, to others it’s simply a way to escape the dorm and head home for a week. Either way you look at it, it’s an exciting point in the semester. Some students flee the country for break, heading to paradises like Acapulco, Cancun, or maybe even Puerto Rico. Some students rein it in a bit and settle for destinations like Miami or Myrtle Beach. Wherever you go, or wherever you want to go, you’re sure to be looking for the best and most popular break locations ‘round the world (or at least in the Western Hemisphere).

And oh, wouldn’t you know, Her Campus VCU happens to have a few of those lined up for you to look at. Without further ado, here are the top seven Spring Break locales for college students.

1. Cancun: One of the most affordable locations in the Western Hemisphere, Cancun has a long history of being one of the top Spring Break locations for college students in North America. Why? Pristine beaches, turquoise waters, and a nightlife that – if nothing else – is sure to give you a few parties you won’t soon forget.
  2. South Padre Island: Not looking to leave the country? No problem. South Padre Island (Texas, folks) is another chief destination for college students around the country. Like Cancun, it’s got beautiful sprawling beaches and sparkling waters. In the off season, SPI is a popular family resort locale – but when March swings ‘round, things kick into full gear and students from around the world make their way to the coast of Texas to get in on the action.
  3. Miami: Looking for the island feel, the Spanish flair, but don’t have a passport? Well, head on down to Miami…but make sure you have plenty of money beforehand. Miami has a reputation of being one of the more exclusive Spring Break areas, but is still extremely popular for students everywhere…especially for those looking to work on their tan.
  4. Las Vegas: Yes, Sin City. There may not be any beaches here, but there are plenty of pools and plenty of people to party with. Drinks go round, chips get thrown down, and the music is always turned up. Year round, Las Vegas is one of the premiere party spots worldwide whether you’re celebrating marriage or kicking back away from the stressful life that is being a college student.
  5. Bahamas: Whitewashed shores, scuba diving like you’d never believe, and drinks for anyone that can reach the bar. Nassau is a frequented vacation destination for people from all over, and numerous cruise ships find themselves docked there to unload tourists almost too frequently. If you’ve got the finances (or the friends to split finances with), Nassau may well be your best option for Spring Break this year.

No matter where you go for Spring Break, have fun and be safe, folks…you might have a graduation ceremony to look forward to in a few months.

Dale Lavine is a 21-year-old college junior majoring in Media Studies & Political Science at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA. Outside of Her Campus, his words have been featured in publications such as USA Today College, Esquire, Fearless Men, CoolAppsMan.com, and The Commonwealth Times. When not penning his weekly columns, he enjoys hot showers, naps, Starbucks, and Jameson (neat). Want to know more? Need real-time relationship help? Readers are more than welcome to follow Dale on Twitter (@misterlavine).
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.