5 Iconic Barbie Outfits I Want To See In The Live-Action Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Since Greta Gerwig’s live-action “Barbie” movie was announced last year, I’ve been counting down the days until its release. As a major consumer of Barbie and Mattel content as a child, watching the first official trailer for the Barbie movie last week was beyond exciting.

While this film will address significant social issues women face in day-to-day life, such as sexism and unrealistic beauty standards, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t the most excited about the costume design. Even though only one trailer has been released, plenty of behind-the-scenes photos have been released on Twitter.

By the looks of it, BAFTA award-winning costume designer Jacqueline Durran has nailed Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling’s looks as Ken and Barbie. Still, I can’t help to daydream about iconic Barbie outfits that I hope make the cut.

Holiday Barbie

Little girls everywhere, myself included, hoped and prayed every December for the Holiday Barbie. Every holiday season Mattel came out with a Barbie that somehow topped previous years, from the luscious Hollywood starlet hair to the detailed gown that was either green, red or gold; the Holiday Barbie was everything a little girl could wish for.

If you couldn’t tell, I still want a Holiday Barbie to fulfill my childhood dreams. While I can’t think of a reason for Greta Gerwig to include a Christmas scene in the film, I’m hoping to see the iconic ornate dress somewhere in the movie.

Stacie’s Iconic Ponytail

While this doesn’t fit in this article’s outfit category, I hope that Barbie’s younger sister, Stacie, makes an appearance in the movie. While I perfected the annoying little sister angle on my own throughout my childhood I wanted to emulate Stacie’s iconic bangs and high ponytail.

Since the storyline will include Barbie facing the trials and tribulations of being a woman, I’m hopeful for a Stacie cameo in a scene where Barbie gives her sisterly advice about growing up.

Great Shape Barbie

The Great Shape Barbie made her debut in 1983 and again in “Toy Story 3.” The doll’s vintage look is complete with a green and blue jumpsuit and is accessorized with striped leg warmers and a hot pink belt to accentuate the signature Barbie figure.

Should this look be included in the movie, I want the ensemble to stray from its original title of “Great Shape” and appear on an actor that doesn’t fit the typical Barbie look.

Even though this film’s demographic is young adults, I’m hoping that if little girls see an iconic outfit, such as this one, on someone with real-world proportions, they’ll feel represented.

Doctor Barbie or President Barbie

On top of the vast array of stylish outfits consumers can buy for their Barbies, they can also enroll their doll in a specific career path. One of the most popular choices is Doctor Barbie and, more recently, President Barbie.

I wonder if Greta Gerwig will include one of these careers in Barbieland, or wait to include a woman president until Barbie gets to the real world.

Similar to my hopes for the Great Shape Barbie, I would like to see one of these Barbies represented in the film.

Barbie as “the Princess and the Pauper”

“Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper” was one of my favorite movies as a kid; I used to watch my DVD copy until it was scratched to death. While I would love to see the live-action Barbie pay homage to the “Princess and the Pauper,” I will settle for any nod to the animated Barbie movies. Whether it’s Bibble or a different character or outfit from the animated collection, I will gladly take it!

Claudia Stewart is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in art history. She enjoys watching rom-coms, baking double chocolate chip cookies with her roommate, and finding the best spot for sushi in her free time. Stewart loves writing about pop culture, fashion, and beauty.