5 Activities To Do With Your Friends This Fall In Virginia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The beginning of a new season brings changes in the weather, new Starbucks drinks and a slew of fun activities to do with your friends. Whether you’ve been dying to go to a fall festival or get your heart rate going with something spooky, Virginia has so many things to choose from. To get in the spirit of the new season, grab your friends and make a bucket list to maximize your time this fall. 

Go on a weekend getaway to Shenandoah National Park

Virginia is often overlooked when it comes to planning a fun fall getaway; between the scenic drive to Shenandoah to the amazing hiking trails, there’s so much natural beauty to take in. If you have a few friends who are interested in the great outdoors, this is the perfect affordable trip! Splitting the cost of a cabin and food for one weekend is very budget-friendly for college students. Additionally, there’s fun activities such as a Massanutten Chairlift Ride to incorporate in you itinerary. 

Apple Picking

Apple picking is a classic fall activity and is very accessible in the Old Dominion. There’s a variety of orchards dispersed throughout the state that have an assortment of apples to pick and delicious Autumnal treats available for purchase. At Carter Mountain Orchard, located in Charlottesville, there are fresh-baked pies, apple cider donuts, apple butter and a wide array of other gourmet foods. Another great apple picking destination is Great Country Farms, located in Bluemont. In addition to apple picking, they have a corn maze and a fall Harvest Festival.

Go on a scenic drive to see the fall foliage

Northern Virginia is a key destination for fall foliage, and there are plenty of routes to take for a scenic drive. This activity is great for a chilly fall morning or at sunset; routes such as the Georgetown Pike are lined with trees covered in rich amber leaves. Another great option is the Snickersville Turnpike which has a few interesting stops throughout the journey, ranging from wine tasting at the Bluemont Winery to hiking up to the Bears Den Overlook

Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens

There are two types of people that enjoy fall, those who love the aesthetic of this season and those who eagerly anticipate Halloween and other spooky things. For those who sympathize with the latter, check out Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. On select dates from now until Oct. 31, you can head to the theme park to experience different haunted houses, roller coasters and being scared once or twice by someone in a gory costume.

Visit a haunted landmark

Living in a state like Virginia means that there’s a lot of history right at our fingertips, including a few spine-chilling stories about different landmarks. For those who believe in the supernatural, check out the mausoleum-style grave at Hollywood Cemetery here in Richmond. Legend has it that the Richmond Vampire is inside of the tomb and haunts those who visit the cemetery after dark. Another hair-raising activity is taking a trip down to the Battleship Wisconsin at Nauticus in Norfolk. While a military battleship may seem mundane to some, there are rumors that ghosts roam the corridors haunting visitors. If you and your friends want to fact-check this rumor, Nauticus offers overnight stays on the ship for those brave enough.  

Claudia Stewart is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in art history. She enjoys watching rom-coms, baking double chocolate chip cookies with her roommate, and finding the best spot for sushi in her free time. Stewart loves writing about pop culture, fashion, and beauty.