Style

4 Sustainable Fashion Practices to Begin Your Sustainability Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Want to start practicing sustainability but don’t know where to start?

Waiting 30 Days

If you’re anything like me, your closet is filled with one too many items that still has the tag on it. This tip changed the way I approach shopping. Oftentimes, I think we blur the lines between momentary desire with genuine need. Just because something is trendy or catches your eyes doesn’t mean that you genuinely want or need it in the long term. By waiting 30 days, you force yourself to overcome that initial infatuation, so to speak. Similar to dating, once you get past that initial lust, it will become clear whether you and the clothing item in question are meant to be. 

Does It Fit Your Style?

My closet is filled with clothing items that I will likely never wear because it is too out of my comfort zone or doesn’t match my personality. And yet, did it deter me from buying the item? No. I find that I buy things that fulfill my desire of who I want to be rather than who I actually am. What I end up with is a closet full of clothes that will gather dust before I take it to a second-hand store to sell or to the donation bin.

Now, before I buy a new clothing item, I ask myself if the clothing item fits my style. This forces me to snap out of this illusion of who I think I can become with the clothing item. The truth is clothing cannot change who you are as a person. Instead, I buy clothes that fit my styles and personality. This, in turn, makes my wardrobe more cohesive and easy to pair items with one another. 

Do Your Research

In a bid to become more sustainable, I have started researching brands and companies that I regularly shop from. This way, I can ensure that my money is going to companies that use fair and ethical practices regarding environmental conservation and labor laws. Researching can be particularly useful if you are starting your sustainable journey. One of the most difficult things about trying to be more sustainable is knowing where to start and where to shop. By researching sustainable brands, you can discover new places to support. 

Investing in High Quality Pieces

This piece of advice is one that I hate giving because good quality clothes tend to be on the pricier side. And I resent the notion that sustainability is an elitist practice because sustainability is for everyone. By investing in high-quality clothes, you can eliminate the need for rebuying the same item in a few months. For example, all through high school, I bought jeans from cheaper fast fashion brands. And usually, those jeans lasted me one academic year before ripping at the thighs, and I found myself buying that exact pair of jeans before the beginning of the new school year.

Since college, I have started investing in high-quality jeans from brands such as Everlane and Levi’s. I have yet to wear through any of these nicer quality denims. When you invest in higher quality clothing, especially basics, you will save money in the long run because you won’t end up rebuying and replacing the same item over and over again. Like most college students, I am perpetually broke. So, when I want to buy from sustainable brands that are out of my price range, I go on second-hand websites such as Poshmark and Thredup to scour for a good deal. 

Good luck implementing these tips!

Kathy Nguyen is a Senior at VCU. She is double majoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Political Science with concentration in International Relations. Her passion includes advocating for women's reproductive rights and gun reforms. In addition to her political activism, she is a coffee snob and a Harry Potter fanatic.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!