This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

After the sh*t show that was 2017, I think that we’re all more than ready for 2018 to finally arrive. Sure with the possibility of net neutrality being repealed and nuclear war becoming more and more imminent, you may want to crawl into a hole when that big ball drops at midnight. But here’s a list of movies to show you that the future’s still bright!

18. “Solo: A Star Wars Story”

Release Date: May 25, 2018

Who’s starring? Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke.

A Ron Howard Star Wars Adventure with the dreamy Donald Glover playing a young Lando Calrissian? Sign me the f*ck up.

17. “Love, Simon”

Release Date: March 16, 2018

Who’s Starring? Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford and Miles Heizer.

Hopefully this movie is the dose of queer representation that we need so desperately in the YA genre. If you want to jump ahead, go check out the book this movie is based off of.

16. “Isle of Dogs”

Release Date: March 23, 2018

Who’s Starring? Bryan Cranston, Jeff Goldblum and Scarlett Johansson.

If you’re a fan of “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” you’ll probably be excited to know that Wes Anderson has more animated films up his sleeves. This animation is already giving me goosebumps.

15. “Avengers Infinity War”

Release Date: May 4, 2018

Who’s Starring? Lol who isn’t starring.

This movie is YEARS in the making! The Avengers, The Guardians of the Galaxy and countless others of your favorite Marvel characters all together in one battle filled extravaganza of awesome! My inner 12-year-old is screaming!

14. “Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2”

Release Date: March 9, 2018

Who’s Starring? John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman and Phil Johnston.

Don’t front. “Wreck-It Ralph” was a masterpiece. Also, with the Internet, imagine how many meme references they can cram into this movie. If that’s a good or bad thing is up for debate.

13. “Proud Mary”

Release Date: Jan 12, 2018

Who’s Starring? Taraji P. Henson, Billy Brown and Danny Glover.

Taraji P. Henson? As a hit woman? Against a hit 70s backdrop? B*tch, my wig is FLYING!

12. “A Wrinkle in Time”

Release Date: March 9, 2018

Who’s Starring? Storm Reid, Mindy Kaling and Oprah Muthaf*cking Winfrey.

This was a book that was LONG overdue for a big budget movie adaptation. We finally have the technology to do it justice. Plus not only do we have a young, black female lead and multiple POC characters, but ALSO A BLACK FEMALE DIRECTOR!

11. “Crimes of Grindlewald”

Release Date: Nov 16, 2018

Who’s Starring? Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law, Zoe Kravitz

Yes, Johnny Depp is a demonic Hellman and it’s completely understandable (and probably encouraged) to NOT go see this film. But we know that this new addition to the Harry Potter Universe has plenty of us SHOOK! Accio movie ticket!

10. Annihilation

Release Date: Feb 23, 2018

Who’s Starring? Natalie Portman, Gina Rodriguez, Oscar Isaac

Based off the best selling sci-fi horror novel, Annihilation weaves a thrilling tale filled with intrigue, unknown worlds and mysterious disappearances. Fingers crossed that this movie will do the amazing book justice! 

9. The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Release Date: Nov 2, 2018

Who’s Starring? Mackenzie Foy, Keira Knightley, Morgan Freeman

Those goosebumps running up your arm? Yep, those babies could be from the cold or could be from watching the visually stunning trailer for Disney’s next live-action classic, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. Ballet, magic and a pink-haired Keira Knightley: a perfect recipe for a Christmas classic. 

8. Ocean’s 8

Release Date: June 8, 2018

Who’s Starring: Rihanna, Sarah Paulson, Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway

Ocean’s Trilogy and Rihanna fans rejoice! This sequel/ reboot to the Ocean’s franchise promises to be the comedy of the summer. 

7. Pacific Rim Uprising

Release Date: March 23, 2018

Who’s Starring? John Boyega, Jing Tian, Scott Eastwood

John Boyega. Giant Robots. Need I go on? 

6. Deadpool 2

Release Date: June 1, 2018

Who’s Starring? Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Zazie Beetz

“The Merc with the Mouth” is back on the silver screen once again and he promises to be bigger, badder and raunchier than ever. Plus, for all you comic book fans (as if you didn’t already know), Cable is in this one. 

5. Fifty Shades of Freed

Release Date: Feb 9, 2018

Who’s Starring? Jamie Doran, Dakota Johnson, Rita Ora

Thank F*ck that this godforsaken series is ending. 

4. Mary and the Witch’s Flower

Release Date: Jan 18, 2018

Who’s Starring? Hana Sugisaki, Cate Blanchett, Ryunosuke Kamiki

While not “technically” a Studio Ghibli film, it has everything that a Ghibli fan could possibly want. Our young protagonist, Mary Smith, is taken on a wild adventure when she discovers a magical flower with incredible powers. Everyone grab a ticket and a Totoro plushie because this is a movie you won’t want to miss. 

3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Release Date: June 22, 2018

Who’s Starring? Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jeff Goldblum

According to a leak and the trailer, this film is supposed to center around the last surviving raptor from the last movie, Blue, and her reconnection to Pratt’s character. Awwww. 

2. Black Panther

Release Date: Feb 16, 2016

Who’s Starring? Chadwick Boseman, Lupita Nyong’o, Michael B. Jordan

The cast is black. The director is black. My wig is gone. “Black Panther” is a landmark in regards to diversity in comic films, a celebration of every and all things black. 

1. Incredibles 2

Release Date: June 15, 2018

Who’s Starring? Helen Hunt, Sarah Powell, Samuel L. Jackson

Anyone under the age of 18 better watch out because when this movie drops, I’m running into this theater with a vengeance, and I will not hesitate to trample anyone in my path.

Photo credits: Cover Photo1, 2 , 3, 4 , 5, 6, 789, 1011,12131415161718

Arianna Coghill is a Print and Online Journalism major in her junior year at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's a huge fan of Tracee Ellis Ross, the Harry Potter series and thinly veiling her insecurities under a layer of sarcasm. She misses the oxford comma dearly and can usually be found writing and/ or binge watching various sci-fi television shows. #blacklivesmatter
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!