15 Things Your Ram Safe Driver Wants You to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Here at VCU, we offer Ram Safe, a late-night transportation service running from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. for students that guarantees our safety no matter where we are or want to go in Richmond. Though there are some issues with the service (like the wait), Ram Safe does more good than harm. I was given the opportunity to go behind-the-scenes of Ram Safe and see how they operate, and here are 10 things your Ram Safe driver wants you fellow Rams to know:

1. It’s called Ram SAFE for a reason.

It’s not called Ram On Time or Ram Hurry–it gets you there and back in one piece, which is about as much as any student could ask for.

2. On an average weekend, there are as many as 400 to 600 Ram Safe requests.

Think about that the next time you complain about how long your ride is taking.

3. Calculating fuel costs, technology and labor, a ride on Ram safe should cost students around $7.50–but it’s entirely free upfront since it has already been covered in our tuition.

Our tuition covers approximately two rides a semester, so if you aren’t using it you’re basically wasting $15 a semester. That might not seem like a lot, but it starts to add up.

4. A student has never been hurt or put in danger while waiting for their Ram Safe to pick them up.

So no, you cannot use that as something to complain about.

5. It is NOT a point-to-point single call service. It is a point-to-point multiple call service.

If you want a single call service, call an Uber. But you have to pay for an Uber, so…

6. Collectively, Ram Safe drivers have 305 years of experience driving or operating transportation systems.

So yes, your driver does in fact know exactly what they are doing.

7. You are not the only person using Ram Safe at any given time.

Again, if that’s your jam, call an Uber.

8. There is an average of 30 percent cancellation or no-show rate, which adds three minutes to every person’s wait.

Yes, there are consequences to cancelling. If your wait is taking an abnormally long time, someone probably cancelled. Blame them, not your driver. 

9. There’s a fine line between being lazy and being safe.

Being lazy = getting a Ram Safe from Cane’s to Brandt just because you can. Being safe = anything other than that.

10. The average wait time for any Ram Safe is between 12 to 15 minutes.

It might seem like absolutely ~*~foReVeR~*~, but you will survive, trust me.

11. Ram Safe works more hours in a day than any other school who offers a similar system.

They also offer more time for students to get to their bus than any other school. Most schools give two minutes; VCU gives three.

12. There are a total of 157 seats available to any student on any given night.

Two vans, nine buses and a partridge in a pear tree.

13. Over 11,805 students have used Ram Safe since its start in December 2012.

That’s 85,970 rides. Yeah.

14. There is absolutely no way you “didn’t get the notification” that your ride is there.

Dispatch sends out a notification for when you’re assigned a ride, when your ride is almost there and again when it arrives. So yes, you DID get a notification.

15. The service is there for you to use. 

If it’s there, why wouldn’t you use it? It’s a guaranteed safe arrival no matter where you’re going.

Stay safe out there Rams, and think about calling a Ram Safe next time you’re scared to walk down Broad alone. It’s there for that reason, after all!

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!