Original Illustration by Megan Charles for Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

11 Things That Would Send A Non-VCU Student Into A Coma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

A few weeks ago, the trend ‘things that would send a Victorian child into a coma,” was all over my FYP page on TikTok. The things ranged from a deep-fried Oreo to a sip of a Mountain Dew Baja Blast.

Well, here’s a take on that trend: entirely normal things at VCU would shock most non-Rams.

Constant VCu alerts

Ah yes, the “Notice of Crime” we get every few days would probably shock anyone who doesn’t go to VCU. The amount of stolen cars is actually kind of insane. Richmond, right?

the swaying bridge of belle isle

If you plan to spend a sunny day at the river and have to cross the bridge when there is even a little bit of wind, beware: It rocks.

the amount of art everywhere you go

I think this one would be a pleasant surprise to any non-VCU student. There are murals on every corner, spray paintings on the sidewalk and stickers on every other lamp post. There are so many buildings around the campus that are super colorful too. The amount of art is impressive.

No football

What’s college like with tailgate parties, football games and a screaming stadium? Most VCU students don’t have a clue.

the lines downtown on any given holiday

Planning on going to Taphouse, Siné or Tobacco on Halloween? St. Paddy’s? Cinco de Mayo? Forget about just popping in — once you wait in those lines that are literally wrapped around the building, you stay there the entire night. It’s like every person in VCU is out on those days.

The preachers in front of the library

“Are you going to Heaven? Free test.” That’s just one of the many signs that a specific group of preachers hold outside of Cabell hold up. They are always there — have been for years. For most VCU students, it’s a normal thing to do your best to ignore the preachers on your way to and from class.

Richmond VA at sunset
Original photo by Miriam Gibson
The street noise

There are truly no quiet nights when you live in the heart of the city. VCU students must get accustomed to the sirens and the random shouts. If a student from a more traditional campus came here, they may be startled by the amount of noise.

City living, right?

the nightmare of @Vcushitposts

That account shows the underbelly of the university. It really captures the… diversity of VCU.

the number of marathons

I swear Richmond decides to be the host of every single marathon there is. If you’re an unlucky driver caught unaware of a marathon, your car will be boxed in the entire day if you don’t move it to a safe space.

the rats in Monroe park

At this point, they’re a part of the Ram-ily too.

broad street bullies

Every other week or so, hundreds of bicyclists will fill the roads and bike down them. It’s every driver’s worst nightmare.

In respect, the group was started to make streets safer for bikers, essentially becoming a protest movement in a way.

Kaylah Young is a senior at VCU. She is majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in journalism, and a minor in political science. Kaylah has a passion for writing, reading books, and working out at the gym.