11 Things I Learned From Growing Up in a Predominantly Female Household

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Growing up can be a long hard, stressful and exhausting process in itself but try growing up in an all girl or predominantly-female household. There’s a lot of estrogen moving around 24 hours in the day, but there’s a lot to learn from the experience both good and bad.

1. Have your own success

If you’re a female that loves her independence, the most rewarding sense of thought that I have on a daily basis is the idea that one day I will be able to not only provide for myself but one day in the near future a family of my own and be reliant on no one.

2. Find someone complementary to you, not supplementary

I think a lot of people, not just females, forget that it’s important to find a partner who compliments your personality and character, rather than someone who makes you who you are. I’ve personally never been the type to need a man, but this goes without saying — just make sure that it is someone that makes you a better you.

3. Love yourself or nobody will

I like to think that I love me more than anybody else could ever love me. Self love is the biggest life lesson you learn growing up in a house full of strong, independent, self-loving women. I suggest you wake up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror and remind yourself how great you are. I do this on a regular basis, so there’s never a day that I don’t feel loved. 

4. You are enough

You are never in competition with anyone but yourself and the only person you need to be better than is the you from yesterday. This was one of the hardest lessons for me to wrap my head around because I would go on Facebook, Twiiter and Instagram and see practically all of my friends and ex’s in happy relationships and would think to myself “why doesn’t anyone want to date me?”, but it wasn’t that no one wanted to date me. I just had to love myself before anyone else could.

5. That it’s okay to be strong and independent

We’ve been taught that a strong women is somehow a “b**ch”, when really they left a word out. You’re a boss b**ch, it’s okay to be strong and independent and really an all-around power house! So go on now and continue to make the world your playground.

6. Stand for something or you’ll end up standing for anything

It is important for us as young adults or women for that matter to establish what it is we live for. It sets the ground for what we will and will not accept to be said or done to or around us. Don’t apologize for having an opposing opinion. 

7. You’re going to have to work harder to get to where you want to be

It’s good that you’re learning this now before you enter into the real world. Your potential is endless and your only limitation is your imagination, so reach for the moon and land on some stars along the way.  

8. My favorite position is being a CEO

I never wanted to be just a well-paid employee. I’ve always wanted to be an employer because I’m a natural born leader, and I won’t settle for anything less.

9. Empowering other women is key

As women we need to be supportive, encouraging and uplifting because there are plenty of men out there just waiting for a cat fight or petty argument lets prove them wrong together and don’t be afraid to tell your friend  that “she looks good today” or “you’re totally going to be a household name one day”. It not only puts a smile on your face, but I’m a strong believer in the fact that we speak things into existence so speak positive things and positive things will happen.

10. No shame

For a while I would hide my dorky, weird, quirky self, but then I reached a point in my life where the real me wasn’t so shameful. She was actually a beautiful human specimen worth showing to the world, so don’t be afraid to show the world who you really are. You’ll be surprised exactly how many other people are out their just like you.

11. Indulge

This one is extremely important if you want to stay happy and content with your mental and physical self. Do not hesitate to comfort yourself with a purchase of something — heck, buy yourself something for simply being you one day or take a longer nap than your normally do. There are countless things you can do for yourself but just make sure you take some me time for yourself every now and then. This is important in continuing to be a happy healthy prosperous you. 

Saiounia is a 20 year old Broadcast Journalism major studying at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her name is pronounced (Say-oh-knee-uhh). She is originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Saiounia is a food junkie and loves adventure. In her spare time she can be found at local food festivals and family owned coffee shops.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!