10 Ways To Finish Your Semester Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

After a long semester of taking tedious classes, pulling all-nighters at the library and suffering through exams, we are all ready to have a couple months off. But before you put yourself into “vacation mode,” make sure you read these tips to end the semester as strong as you started.

1. Don’t Procrastinate Studying for Finals

As you’re counting down the days to freedom, don’t let your eagerness blind you from the dreaded reality of final exams. They may seem far off now, but once it gets to be “hell week,” you’ll be massively regretting not preparing sooner in advance.

2. Check Your Grades

“Ignorance is bliss” may not the best approach when it comes to checking your grades posted online. Even if you haven’t bothered to log in all semester, you might want to check to make sure you’re still in good standing. Calculate your average if your professor hasn’t done so already so you’ll know if you need to pull your grade up.

3. List It Out

In order to avoid getting overwhelmed with all the assignments and papers you have to get done before the end of the semester, make a list. Write down what you have to do in order according to the date they are due. That way you can make a schedule of when to do each one without waiting for them to pile up, forcing you to cram a million assignments into one day.

4. Use Your Weekends

If you know you have a lot of work to do, don’t think of the weekend as a hiatus from responsibilities. Of course you don’t have to spend the entirety of your free time cooped up in the library, but try to avoid partying so hard that you have to sleep the next day away to recover. Make sure you allot a few hours to devote to catching up on your assignments so you aren’t overloading yourself during the week.

5. Put Down the Phone

When you’re studying for finals or working on any other last minute assignments, turn the phone off and put it away! You won’t be productive at all if you’re constantly texting, checking Twitter, posting pics to Instagram, etc. Focus completely on your work and you’ll get it done quickly!

6. Ask for Help

If something confuses you, don’t be afraid to ask your professor or a classmate. Don’t push it aside and still be unsure when exam time rolls around. It’s better to be safe than sorry!

7. Organize

Organize your binders, notes, past tests and quizzes for easier and more efficient studying. Also, if you’re living in a dorm, chances are you’re about to have a huge moving out day soon. Take a break from studying and tidy up your living quarters. Keep things in designated places so when move-out day finally comes, you won’t take forever to plow through a pile of mess. Plus, a clean room will likely reduce some stress.

8. Don’t Be Overconfident

Just because you aced all the exams up to this point doesn’t mean you should totally slack off studying for the final, especially if it’s cumulative. Review through all your old material and make sure you haven’t forgotten any key information!

9. Form a Study Group

Two heads are better than one, and more is even better! If you’re nervous about a final exam, get a group of your classmates together and plan to have a review session.

10. Relax

Take a deep breath. Take a long nap. Go to a yoga class. Take a hot bubble bath. Walk your dog. Do anything that makes you happy! Your body is taking a beating from all the constant stress you’re putting it under. Give yourself a chance to unwind and let off some steam. Plus, after giving yourself a break, you’ll feel a lot better and ready to tackle the rest of your end of semester work!

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!